Arizona Chickens

It's been so nice the last couple of days. Oh, and we got our cooler working. /whew

What feed do you all give your girls? I'm shopping around. Looking for a good balance between price and quality.
I liked Purina for my ducks and tried the non medicated grower with my chicks. Far better results than what I had with Nutrena, and I was planning to keep using the same thing. However, my TSC never has it now. I switched to Kalmbach and got an all flock pellet delivered by Chewy. It’s slightly more expensive than the Purina all flock at TSC, which is more expensive than the chick crumble. When I factor in driving all the way down there and the hassle of having to shop around, it’s easier and the cost is pretty similar. I’m using auto ship to build up my stores a little bit, then will reduce the number of bags per order. I add a few bugs to their wet mash at night to boost the protein a little bit.

It smells good, my flock likes it quite a bit.

You can try it, but I would think that a teaspoon of the canned would work better in mixing it into wet feed.

My chickens raid the dry cat food all the time. I feed my cats Meow,,
I tried wetting the dry food. None of the babies nor the adults went for it. Previously, my adults have gotten onto the patio and gotten into the strays' food, only to make a mess of it and not eat it. They try, but can't break it up so spit it out. I had already given them some egg whites with a little yolk cooked into it.

It's been so nice the last couple of days. Oh, and we got our cooler working. /whew

What feed do you all give your girls? I'm shopping around. Looking for a good balance between price and quality.
Hi! Going to be getting back into raising chickens after a few years of not having any. Thoughts on phoenixorganicfeed.com? I'm not too far from a pickup location.

Since feed has really increased since I last bought it, I'd like to stock up but worried about how much to keep on hand in the valley with the heat. How much do you store if you can't keep it cool? TIA

Hi! Going to be getting back into raising chickens after a few years of not having any. Thoughts on phoenixorganicfeed.com? I'm not too far from a pickup location.

Since feed has really increased since I last bought it, I'd like to stock up but worried about how much to keep on hand in the valley with the heat. How much do you store if you can't keep it cool? TIA
I keep the food in my house, and I'm up north a ways. When I was in black canyon, ,I planned, but didn't get around to building, a bench that'd double as feed storage, lined on the inside with 1/4 hardware cloth (I had a mobile home). Maybe you could do something like that? Or, put some in the 10-20lb metal cans?

I keep the food in my house, and I'm up north a ways. When I was in black canyon, ,I planned, but didn't get around to building, a bench that'd double as feed storage, lined on the inside with 1/4 hardware cloth (I had a mobile home). Maybe you could do something like that? Or, put some in the 10-20lb metal cans?
Thanks for the reply. I'd like to keep it in my house but am a little worried about bug eggs in the feed hatching inside. If I had enough room in my big freezer I'd throw a 50 lb bag in for a couple of days to kill those eggs 😏. Previously, I had stored my feed in a metal garbage can (couldn't even find one in Home Depot last night) in my shed but only kept one bag at a time. Love the storage bench idea.

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to keep it in my house but am a little worried about bug eggs in the feed hatching inside. If I had enough room in my big freezer I'd throw a 50 lb bag in for a couple of days to kill those eggs 😏. Previously, I had stored my feed in a metal garbage can (couldn't even find one in Home Depot last night) in my shed but only kept one bag at a time. Love the storage bench idea.
Would something like one of those deep chest freezer's work for you for that? Sometimes you can find a good working used one of those that won't cost an arm and a leg.

Back
Top Bottom