Arizona Chickens

I've been giving them the purina starter and they've done great. Have you ever tried the Olsen's brand feed?
Yes I've started to use Olsens completely because Purina was getting too expensive. I use Olsens All Purpose (I think that's it - because I have roosters) it's 17% protien, and this past week I also got Olsens Layer Pellets since $1 less than All Purpose and I intend to move some roos. The All Purpose was getting very dusty since it's already crumbles so I just fed it to them wet in a big tub and they think it's a treat - same food, just a little wet.

Yes I've started to use Olsens completely because Purina was getting too expensive. I use Olsens All Purpose (I think that's it - because I have roosters) it's 17% protien, and this past week I also got Olsens Layer Pellets since $1 less than All Purpose and I intend to move some roos. The All Purpose was getting very dusty since it's already crumbles so I just fed it to them wet in a big tub and they think it's a treat - same food, just a little wet.
Thank you! Olsen's is a stone's throw from here so we may try theirs first.

I've been giving them the purina starter and they've done great. Have you ever tried the Olsen's brand feed?
yes, and I didn't have any problems with it. It is 40# instead of 50# so you'll have to compare. And some of their employees' terminology isn't good--make sure you're communicating and agreeing that you're getting the 20% protein (assuming that's what you want) so you don't get a lower protein grower/finisher or layer formula.

Do they mill an organic or non-GMO?

yes, and I didn't have any problems with it. It is 40# instead of 50# so you'll have to compare. And some of their employees' terminology isn't good--make sure you're communicating and agreeing that you're getting the 20% protein (assuming that's what you want) so you don't get a lower protein grower/finisher or layer formula.
Good to know! Thank you!

I tried wetting the dry food. None of the babies nor the adults went for it. Previously, my adults have gotten onto the patio and gotten into the strays' food, only to make a mess of it and not eat it. They try, but can't break it up so spit it out. I had already given them some egg whites with a little yolk cooked into it.
Maybe dry food would work better, just a few pieces each. Have you tried bugs or worms? You can get dehydrated/live mealworms at walmart and I’ve purchased dried BSFL from Amazon. The BSFL I found were grown in the US, but that was a while ago.

Maybe dry food would work better, just a few pieces each. Have you tried bugs or worms? You can get dehydrated/live mealworms at walmart and I’ve purchased dried BSFL from Amazon. The BSFL I found were grown in the US, but that was a while ago.
I may end up getting meal worms, but I have the extra eggs, so the egg whites with a little yolk seemed easy to do. I'm thinking it's mainly the cockerel, most of the feathers are his, and I can see he's busy making some saddle feathers. I'm wondering if the others are completely done molting into their adult feathers (15 weeks old), and I'm just seeing all the feathers he plucked from them, though he ate the couple I saw him pluck earlier.

I may end up getting meal worms, but I have the extra eggs, so the egg whites with a little yolk seemed easy to do. I'm thinking it's mainly the cockerel, most of the feathers are his, and I can see he's busy making some saddle feathers. I'm wondering if the others are completely done molting into their adult feathers (15 weeks old), and I'm just seeing all the feathers he plucked from them, though he ate the couple I saw him pluck earlier.
I hope you get it figured out. It can be frustrating.

Do they mill an organic or non-GMO?
Not that I know of - I don't see it on their board here in Chino Valley. You might ask them at the counter.

I was thinking of starting to get Olsens bulk feed once we get forks for our tractor so we can move it. Then it's just a matter of scooping it out to the barrels (supposedly can be done in 3 minutes according to Sow The Land guy on YT).

Back
Top Bottom