Arizona Chickens

Pretty much yeah, but you end up with a pretty egg basket. I love the red one, she’s pretty!
Thanks! Those 3 are more skittish than my Novogens. I got all of them as pullets. I had no idea how different they could be presumably based on how they were raised to that point.

The 3 were clearly not handled and the guy had to crawl into a low coop/run to drag them out by their feet.
The Novogens, on the other hand, were coddled and babied (she even sang to them when they went to roost 😅 ). They follow us around now and like to be 'pet' and handled.

Just this weekend I was fiddling with the electric plug in the run and one of my Novogen girls hopped up on my back, lol!

Attachments

• #1 on my back.jpg
    #1 on my back.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 7
Thanks! Those 3 are more skittish than my Novogens. I got all of them as pullets. I had no idea how different they could be presumably based on how they were raised to that point.

The 3 were clearly not handled and the guy had to crawl into a low coop/run to drag them out by their feet.
The Novogens, on the other hand, were coddled and babied (she even sang to them when they went to roost 😅 ). They follow us around now and like to be 'pet' and handled.

Just this weekend I was fiddling with the electric plug in the run and one of my Novogen girls hopped up on my back, lol!
That shows you how comfortable she is with you, that’s great! I had a hen like that, she was always on my shoulder and her rooster hated me lol. He hated everyone though.

You are right... hens can be so different due to their environment (as well as personality or breed).

My first flock in 2010 I got 3 pullets hand-raised by homeschoolers (2 Black Sex-Links, 1 RIR) and 4 Golden Comets (sex-links) from a farmer. The difference in those groups was nite and day - but they all warmed up to me and had to live together. One from each group lived until 10 years (stopped laying around year 6).

The other 3 we think are just easter eggers. Found this pic of them...not the clearest but kinda shows what they look like. Their eggs are small and a pale green/blue. (Aren't easter eggers just mixed "mutts"?)
They may be mutts, but they're mutts with a purpose! I think it's cool to get the colorful eggs.

It look's like Roger was completely ignoring you in that picture. :gig

Have you decided on a name yet for the NN/Bielefelder cockerel? Where's his mother at?
Yes everyone was searching for the treasure of BOSS and millet I hid in the straw! And you know how expert I am at fluffy butt pics!

Cockeral has no name yet. They are all in the divided pen with her on other side of the exclusion gate - I didn't get her in the pic. She likes to chase them all and especially show HIM who's boss.

Yes everyone was searching for the treasure of BOSS and millet I hid in the straw! And you know how expert I am at fluffy butt pics!

Cockeral has no name yet. They are all in the divided pen with her on other side of the exclusion gate - I didn't get her in the pic. She likes to chase them all and especially show HIM who's boss.
Typical animal, food rates higher attention.

Maybe cockerel will end up naming himself like my rooster Hawkeye did.

Ugh my barred rock hen takes her job of keeping her flock safe from the other chickens. She throws herself at the other run and has now broken her beak.. do y’all have any problems like this??? We just moved so have to keep both flocks in the garage.. this is her little face.

Do y’all know what I should do for her cause it’s a pretty nasty break

Attachments

• 62F13497-2348-4786-8ECC-4F30586043C4.jpeg
    62F13497-2348-4786-8ECC-4F30586043C4.jpeg
    515.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 647BD111-BE25-4A02-847D-8EF45894A426.jpeg
    647BD111-BE25-4A02-847D-8EF45894A426.jpeg
    426.9 KB · Views: 6
Ugh my barred rock hen takes her job of keeping her flock safe from the other chickens. She throws herself at the other run and has now broken her beak.. do y’all have any problems like this??? We just moved so have to keep both flocks in the garage.. this is her little face.

Do y’all know what I should do for her cause it’s a pretty nasty break
I don't know how deep your girls break goes but I had a cross-beak girl who partially broke off part of her beak and it bled like crazy. I was going to cut off the hanging-by-a-thread-piece-of-beak but by the time I gathered stuff, it had fallen off in her quarantine pen. In quarantine a few days and then back to flock. She is fine now (months later) and she is still cross-beak.

Back
Top Bottom