Arizona Chickens

We got our first egg today! I went out at 5am and saw the cutest little brown egg, so it has to be from our BR Taco. We have been checking daily since she looked like she was getting ready. Our EE is the same age but doesn't look ready at all. We had been teasing my son that we were going to be having chicken tacos if she didn't lay soon. I guess she heard us.

[IMG

Last edited:
Last Wednesday night a critter of some sort, I am assuming a coyote, jumped our 8 foot brick wall, and broke in the door to our chicken run, eating all of our small backyard flock. All that was left when I went to give them their morning treats was four piles of feathers and half a wing.
sad.png
I recount this sad tale because only a few days before we had purchased a 50 pound bag of Arizona Feeds Country Store's brand of layer crumbles. I have more than half the bag left and no plans to purchase more chickens until we build a chicken fortress instead of a chicken run. That will not be for some time. I would hate to see all the feed go to waste and was wondering if anyone in the Tucson area would have any use for it, or know of anyone that might welcome some free feed. You can PM if you like and thank you in advance.

We got our first egg today! I went out at 5am and saw the cutest little brown egg, so it has to be from our BR Taco. We have been checking daily since she looked like she was getting ready. Our EE is the same age but doesn't look ready at all. We had been teasing my son that we were going to be having chicken tacos if she didn't lay soon. I guess she heard us.

You could either put a small amount of scratch into the FF every couple days, OR sprout it like you would sprouts for yourself and feed it like that. chickens are crazy for sprouts, almost as much as they are for mealworms
I thought about sprouting it but looking at it it is mostly cracked corn so I wouldn't get much good stuff out of it. I think I''ll do a second ferment container for it. I don't want to force them to eat it by mixing it in with their normal food and the baby greens I've given them in the past have gone ignored. Just today I thinned out my pot of indoor lettuce and gave them a small pile of the little romain sprouts and they were totally untouched. By the end of the day they ate a lot of fermented pellets, I think they ate more feed then they normally would when it was dry but it's hard for me to tell with the consistency changed. Not sure if it's the "new shiny" effect and they thought it was a one time treat so they pigged out but we'll see how fast I go through it this way.

I was just coming to ask about this--the Amdro product site says their poisons work on sweet-eating ants, which aren't leaf cutters.  I'm in a poison mode right now, and I have regular, sweet-eating ants invading my house so I'll still pick up some Amdro for them.  I'll search around to see what may work on the leaf cutters. 

Keep us updated.  I'd really like to get rid of mine.  

Me too.  They are destroying almost everything in my garden.  I don't want to use poison in my otherwise organic garden but I don't know what to do!  I sprinkled DE on the stepping stones but it didn't do much good.

Hey I have not caught up in the last few days... Has Arizona chicken
chimmed in as to weather or not her company can get rid of leaf cutters..

Back
Top Bottom