Arizona Chickens

Not sure what you're looking for, but we're getting ready to list my Mom's house. 2600 square feet, I think on a 10,000 square foot lot. It's four bedrooms with an enclose porch that be a fifth bedroom. Two rooms are easily split to make it a six (seven?) bedroom. It has an RV gate with huge parking and a large workshop in the back. It's in a very chicken friendly city of Peoria with no HOA. Therecxs some fixing up to do, bit that's half the fun.

Message me if you're interested.
Oh no. Thank you but we are looking in Mesa and Gilbert. Other than that, sounds nice!

I built my chicken gate--to keep the chickens out of the garden--and some how it ended up costing WAY more than I had thought it would. Especially considering I had the wire and ONLY needed wood. For only about 10' of fencing. Dang. Maybe I should check my receipt because, whoa, no way this little fence and gate should have cost $100.00. Well, it's keeping trend with me having the most expensive chickens in Tucson! Anyway, it looks great and my garden already looks a million times better without all the barricades and protective fencing around it. The chickens aren't thrilled about having their ranging area severely cut, but they are using the dust bath area I dug for them and seem happy enough scratching around the old straw bales.

I was having a horrible time with flies in my chicken/garden area-- I finally bought some fly strips and a disposable fly catcher 'baggie' type thing. The fly problem was so bad that the fly strips were completely coated within a couple of hours. It took a while for the baggie to work up a really disgusting stench that attracted the flies, but it's working well now. It's full of hundreds of drowned flies. I have no idea where the flies are originating from--we clean up the dog and chicken areas regularly, no signs of maggots in my compost, and my neighbors have clean yards, but man, thousands of flies were attracted to my garden area. I could hear the massive buzzing from the other side of my yard. Gross. The fly baggie is helping so much...the rotting corpse stench emanating from the bag is a bit hard to deal with though! I was worried about the 'good' bugs getting caught in the trap and paper, but only a few non-flies on the paper ( and not a single bee, yay!) and only flies in the bag trap. I don't think much else would be attracted to corpse smell.

Last edited:
Oh, another chicken project completed: The run is against my shed, with a narrow gap between the shed and the run. The chickens have scratched so much sand and pine shavings against the shed that it was creeping up against the cheap wood paneling (T1-11 or something). I had primed and painted the paneling before putting the coop up, but still, didn't' want the moisture and such from the bedding against the shed wall. I had to take a shop vac and suck all that stuff out. Huge pain, had to dump the shop vac out 4x, but it's all pretty much gone. I was definitely wishing for longer arms while trying to stretch that hose as far into the narrow space as I could! I used the 70% off warped lumber from Home Depot and put up an 8" barrier so that the chickens can't scratch all that stuff out again. I was surprised so much litter can be scratched out of the wee openings in hardware cloth!

Last edited:
I have fly issues too, before I got chicken. And many of my coworker complains about fly issue too so I am sure the flies are not caused by chicken. Anyway, if anybody has solutions to fly problem I would like to hear it.

I built my chicken gate--to keep the chickens out of the garden--and some how it ended up costing WAY more than I had thought it would. Especially considering I had the wire and ONLY needed wood. For only about 10' of fencing. Dang. Maybe I should check my receipt because, whoa, no way this little fence and gate should have cost $100.00. Well, it's keeping trend with me having the most expensive chickens in Tucson! Anyway, it looks great and my garden already looks a million times better without all the barricades and protective fencing around it. The chickens aren't thrilled about having their ranging area severely cut, but they are using the dust bath area I dug for them and seem happy enough scratching around the old straw bales.

Do you have pictures? I think $100 for 10' sound about reasonable but depends on what material you used.

I'll have to take pictures, I think it looks nice and will look even better when I plant a vine to grow up the horse wire. I used treated 4x4s for the posts (2-10' at $13 each), 4-2x4s for the length, and 2-1x3s for the gate. And I bought a couple boxes of screws and a latch. I guess it all adds up. Ugh.

eta: actually, it's not adding up, unless the boxes of screws were super expensive. I'm gonna have to check that receipt!!!!

Last edited:
Thank you City Farm! Yes I am very eggciting today! Can't settle down without talking about my eggs! The babies are all out in the coup now, I guess I am lucky they integrated at no time.... I start to let them out during the day when they are half feathered at about 5 weeks and take them back to brooder inside at night. Did that for about a week and then one night I noticed them all went back to the shed and roost just fine, I stopped taking them back just leave them there. Never seen any aggression from the big chicken on the contrary I have seen little brats jumped on the big girls couple times. Here is a crappy shot of them roosting at night it really cracked me up when I first saw them lined up perfectly like that. Couldn't stop laughing. (In the picture they were startled by flash so wasn't in a line)
Ahwweee, so fun! They look so happy.. They are better than watching television :goodpost:

Here are some photos that we finally just downloaded.. It has taken forever on this old computor.. So here it goes hope I can make it work..[
VIDEO]

[/VIDEO]

Back
Top Bottom