Arizona Chickens

One of my red sex-links is definitely broody!  How do you get your broody hens off being broody in the heat?  I'm not sure what to do with her since the coop is hotter than the run during the afternoons.  Maybe just pen her in part of the run so she can still reach the cool earth?  Should I return her to the coop at night?  This is my first broody hen, sex-links are not known for going broody.
one BYC moderator told me that I could lock my broody hen up for 2 to 3 days in that cage with nothing in it but food and water and the bare floor and that would help set her hormones straight; but what I did was find one day-old chicks and shove them under her with some old shells around them after I pulled out the last ceramic egg and I did that back-and-forth About one hour prior to sunset. In the Further back pages or so I talked about hen I tricked out of being Broody. (May 2014)

So, I asked the above question two weeks ago on 27th, and she totally stopped laying since.  Is it normal?  should I get worried????
yes it is normal, she's gone Broody! When they become Broody they usually have a Broody poop which is quite large. And I've heard it takes 21 to 23 days before they finish the cycle.(I'm new to BYC,but have had a chicken/chickens for abt 2yrs) Again I tricked my one year-old hen by giving her baby chicks and let her believe she already finished laying her eggs/chicks. So it's up to you what you want to do from here. Good luck!

I'll move water closer to her.  I'm misting the nest boxes where she is setting a couple of times a day.  I don't want to get the rest of the coop wet,  with the deep litter it would be gross. I'll see if she will tolerate me misting her, she's pretty cranky right now.
my Broody hen would squawk when I move her Out of her nest but I would take her out every day to eat and drink some water and then she'd run right back in there, to hatch my ceramic eggs, LOL! I've even put their feet into water and put water underneath their chest in case I felt like they're getting too hot or panting. Whew, I worry too much sometimes!

Last edited:
@ Sill, you might be able to put her in a plain cage with food and water on the floor but bring her into a bathroom or part of the house where it's not too (that you can clean easy)hot if you feel like she is getting overheated also for a few days or so. A cage that went over her and straight on top of the ground(& wet the dirt) might be way to keep her cool as well within your Coop. :)

an interesting list of herbs for the chickens via "fresh eggs daily" I think its useful
They really seem to love it and I love that they are getting additional nutrients. I also still add fresh herbs to the [COLOR=38761D][COLOR=000000]nesting boxeshttp://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/01/nesting-box-herbs-chicken-aromatherapy.html[/COLOR]and coop as well.[/COLOR]

The following herbs can be mixed and matched into your own custom blend depending on what you have available. Try to choose several herbs from each category below for a well-rounded supplement:

[COLOR=666666] Laying Stimulants: Fennel Marjoram Nasturtium Parsley Respiratory Health: Bee Balm Dill Oregano Thyme General Health: Cilantro Sage/Pineapple Sage Spearmint Tarragon Orange Egg Yolks: Alfalfa Basil Dandelion Greens Marigolds For a more comprehensive list of the common culinary herbs and their health benefits, click [/COLOR][COLOR=38761D][COLOR=000000]HERE[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]here is a link to the article http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/05/diy-tiered-herb-drying-rack-using.html[/COLOR][COLOR=666666]. [/C thank you for sharing that. I've been giving my girls an assortment of those but now I can kind of specialize the selection. Lol
Now this is very exciting information!!! :goodpost: Expiring & beautiful... Are you feeling better?

City Farm, I tried using 55 gal trash cans to catch rain water off my roof. They were overflowing in no time at all. I think I will invest in a water tote. SO MUCH water sheets off my roof I hyperventilate thinking about the waste. Lol.

When it rains here it floods.. We have 2, 30 gallon, possibly 50 gallon.. The big black garbage containers, 2-3 small 15 gallon & a well around our orange tree.. We go from one end of our propery moving water. A pump in the chciken run... Blablabla.. We keep talking about fixing the issue.. Talking only.. Plus the neighbors house floods into our property.. We need to plug up the drain hole that connect our property.. Agh, :barnie
Those containers that hold 100 gallons or more are so large & not that attractive.. Since we entertain here in our neighborhood we don't want to add one more thing that takes up space.. We have dryer hose comming off the roof, with a pool hose attached, it looks awful.. I guess now that I have to think about it, calling our neighbor that will help.. :ya

Let us know how it goes. .

Orientation was from 6:30-8 and they do it every month. It was nice and the a integer Manager (Kate) is very nice. She said that they're putting together the commitee for the tour de coops. I have a little one-on-one Tuesday to talk about what want to do as far as volunteering.

Feels good to help others!! :goodpost:

So my only laying hen Pepper the sliver laced wyandotte has been weird, nothing major, little things...

* One night she didn't go back to coop, instead just standing there like a moron.
* Quite often, she open her mouth like gagged, with some sound like being gagged.
* One day I found her egg on the floor of the coop, not nesting box.
* Today the egg is broken, nesting box wet and messy, the remaining of the egg (shell and stuff) on the floor of the coop.

I know the weather is cruel, I have shades, clean cool water all day, mister on 1 hour from noon to 1am.  Her egg production hasn't dropped yet, lay almost everyday, got 23 (including the broken one) since May 1st till today the 27th.  By the way, she is still young, laid her first egg on March 31st.  Laid 22 eggs in month of April.

So, what wrong with her?  Should I be worried?

So, I asked the above question two weeks ago on 27th, and she totally stopped laying since.  Is it normal?  should I get worried????

Well maybe? Have you check her to see if there is a egg that is stuck?? Egg bound :idunno

Last edited:
One of my red sex-links is definitely broody! How do you get your broody hens off being broody in the heat? I'm not sure what to do with her since the coop is hotter than the run during the afternoons. Maybe just pen her in part of the run so she can still reach the cool earth? Should I return her to the coop at night? This is my first broody hen, sex-links are not known for going broody.

My Eleanor went broody for the first time last week. I moved her to the garage in a raised wire cage with pellets and water. Even though it's not air conditioned in the garage it worked. I left her in there for 2 days and then tried putting her in the yard but she went right back to the nest box so she went back in the garage for 3 days and now she's broken. She wasn't nasty (no screeching or pecking), didn't have broody poop or anything just wouldn't come out of the nest box without being removed by me, slept in it one night, I'd take her out of the box and then a few mins later would go right back in. Yesterday was her first day being broken and she was back to normal. Didn't lay but didn't hang out in the box.

Last edited:
No, I haven't. Don't know how... start researching now.....

****done*****

No, I don't think she is egg bound, she showed no symptoms that mentioned in the articles.

Have you checked her crop? My hen with pendulous crop would do the gagging sound when she'd get sour crop, she also would stop laying and sometimes act strange in general. If it feels like her crop is very hard and not clearing in the morning it could be impacted, if it feels like a sloshy water balloon it could be sour. There's many ways to treat both. If you feel either of those things let us know and many of us have dealt with one or both so we can point you in the right direction.

Hi everyone! Just checking in.

I have a bunch of different colored Orpingtons from Papa's Poultry growing out along with two more Heritage New Hampshire pullets and a beautiful female Black Sex Link. Also a male Salmon Falverolle chick. That's in addition to my adult birds! I'll be looking at selling some of these in the near future.

That's all for now! See Ya!

Back
Top Bottom