Arizona Chickens

Thanks for all the welcomes. :> My chicks are about 10 weeks old, so the large comb and waddles are what make me think roosters. I think the black one is an Australorp, but he has feathered feet. Is that typical on that breed? The other rooster is a Naked Neck. Not sure on the red pullet…I've heard Red Sex Link and Golden Comet. I got the eggs from a friend who has a mix of chickens, so mine are probably also a mix. :) Who is planning on getting rid of some hens? Do you think anyone wants to add a rooster to their coop? :-D
ME, ME!
yippiechickie.gif
I have a lot of hens, that if they do not find new homes soon, will be stewing hens! I have two 2-year old Rhode Island Reds, eleven 3 to 4 month old RIR pullets (just discovered I was getting stubs on the offspring this year, so A LOT of them are going---layers only, not for breeding), two olive-eggers from last year, a whole flock of New Hampshire hens since I've decided to downsize and not keep them, Black Copper Marans, hens and pullets, Barred Rock pullets, also have 6 red sexlinked pullets, those are only 2 months old but need to be gone. Oh, and 3 project Delaware hens. Too many birds, not enough space or time. Pricing will be reasonable. Here are some pics I took today of some of the younger ones I'm selling.

Are you going to order by mail? If so, I wonder how many of them still ship.... where you located? If you do get some and close to Chandler/Tempe, I would like to get some too.

Ideal Poultry and they are still shipping CX. I use Ideal because I do such small #s and they only charge $7 for shipping. Every other hatchery charges a fortune, more than the dang cost of CX chicks. I'm in Tucson. Ordered 12, requested no packing peanuts this time. I'll see how they are going to do. I think they're going to be fine.

I can't wait till I'm retired (presumably this will happen) and can have a "natural" chicken set up. I'll be able to get beautiful dual-purpose birds from someone like desertmarcy and I'll have all the space and time I need to never support the hatchery business again. For now though, fast and cheap meaties for the win.

If anybody is considering a mulberry to grow because they want the fruit, I would highly suggest getting a known female tree from a nursery, a variety that has been breed for fruit. There are places that sell them mail order as dormant, bare root. You have to order at the right time, which of course now is not. I got mine from Burnt Ridge Nursery, I think they are in Oregon, they have several varieties. I don't know how you get any fruit from a tree, the wild birds would clean me out if the tree wasn't in my covered garden, but the tree is getting too big for the garden so I don't know what I'm doing to do with it.

If you start from seed, you wait several years just to see if you have a female or not--a lot of wasted time. I think you can also start one from a cutting, that might be an option to get a cutting from a known female tree that has fruit you like. Some of the varieties are stainless--white or pinkish fruit, not the purple that stains everything. I love mulberries, grew up with them in PA where they grew wild, we had a huge tree that was in the cow pasture across the fence--not on our property but on big King Ranch property that we treated like our own. That tree could have been a record size for a mulberry, it was huge, a whole herd of steers used to fit under it. I went back years ago to visit it and it was gone. My brother said it was cut down. Why anybody would do that is beyond me, what a travesty.
Thanks for this information and since I have already used up most of my time buying a tree that has some years of growth is the only way to go.
frow.gif
Fellow used to be PA person. I would never return.

We had a smaller Mulberry bush or tree growing next to a huge pile of field stones collected over the years. I climbed up the stones to pick the berries, made juice from them. The source of nutrition resolved a sever outbreak of Psoriasis. But once again I need treatment.

OH BOY ! MY FUNKY MELONOTIC NN IS A BOY ! I caught him practicing his male voice.

So glad that you joined in...
welcome-byc.gif

I see 1black austrolorp 1red star or a sex link & 1rooster.. 2pullets is better than 1.
love.gif
The chick in the last two pictures looks as if it has the NN gene. For those not familiar with Naked Necks they were developed in Europe to breed a birds with 2/3 less feathers to make for easier harvesting. An Asian breed with a featherless neck was used in the mix, they are 100% chicken, good all purpose birds with mild manner personalities. NN is a breed that is fun to mix with other birds as the trait NN is dominate and makes for easy identification. Those of us who like the UNUSUAL and practical go for this trait and breed. Because of the mixing it is difficult to find a NN which meets the standard of care for Shows and many people with NN are not interested except those who breed Silkie Showgirls which have NN in their mix.

Back
Top Bottom