Arizona Chickens

You have to be cautious with the vaccine - if a chicken is positive for Mg/Ms the vaccine will prove fatal. Chickens receiving the vaccine should always be tested. This is my understanding of what I read. My vet said because of our dry climate we really shouldn't be concerned with it but dipping hatching eggs from out of the southwest wouldn't be a bad idea. Personally I think I'm gonna stick to breeders in the SW from now on.

Thank you for the information. Do you know the approximate geographical area that has been having an outbreak?

Oh, please...don't talk about moving in and relocating.  The accumulation is just rediculous.
I moved from a tiny, cute 800 spft 2 BR/1 Bath house that I rented for 18 years, into to a large, 4-BR,2-bath, 2-car garage house of about 1,900 sqft.

All the stuff packed up into that little house completely filled the new house...can't see any baseboard anywhere...LOL! A 9-ft concert grand piano, a big Hammond B3 with Leslie and Tone cabinet, huge bedroom furniture and over-stuffed couches, Magnavox console stereos out the ying-yang, enough kitchen equipment and a gazillion cast iron skillets to make one dizzy and mayby open a restaurant, and over 3,000 LP's of classical, gospel, country, Motown, British Invastion,  and who knows what else packed up in this camp.

I've been blessed head over heels.  God is good all the time, and all the time, God is good. I've been blessed enough to give away good furniture and electronics to some of my friends and co-workers.

It's amazing how much we collect over the years, and, fortunately, these things come into use down the way. I have everything I need to exist, but would like a few other things (like a new Kitchen-Aid Blender....that's on back-order right now.  Already got my Emeril Deep Fryer from T-Fal).  But for the most part, I am content, and gald that I can wake up and see another day.

Sorry for the rambling, but on a chicken note, I am getting ready to build a sturdy chicken run built like Fort Knox, using pressure-treated lumber and those metal joist thingies you use for building porch decks.  It may be overkill and cost several hundred bucks, but I want something to be built once, and will out live me.

I should have been an architect, having many drawings and plans so far, but I will reveal those down the road. Maybe not unique, but it will have many features plus a screened/covered sitting area to watch some "Chicken TV" with a little park bench and coffee table. Small lights strung around the camp to provide some entertainment until bed time, and 24/7 music piped into the area.

I will share my drawings with you all soon.  This is all from scratch from the top of my bean head, and sure you will enjoy. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Your coop plans sound interesting.

Oh, no..

Oh, please...don't talk about moving in and relocating.  The accumulation is just rediculous.
I moved from a tiny, cute 800 spft 2 BR/1 Bath house that I rented for 18 years, into to a large, 4-BR,2-bath, 2-car garage house of about 1,900 sqft.

All the stuff packed up into that little house completely filled the new house...can't see any baseboard anywhere...LOL! A 9-ft concert grand piano, a big Hammond B3 with Leslie and Tone cabinet, huge bedroom furniture and over-stuffed couches, Magnavox console stereos out the ying-yang, enough kitchen equipment and a gazillion cast iron skillets to make one dizzy and mayby open a restaurant, and over 3,000 LP's of classical, gospel, country, Motown, British Invastion,  and who knows what else packed up in this camp.

I've been blessed head over heels.  God is good all the time, and all the time, God is good. I've been blessed enough to give away good furniture and electronics to some of my friends and co-workers.

It's amazing how much we collect over the years, and, fortunately, these things come into use down the way. I have everything I need to exist, but would like a few other things (like a new Kitchen-Aid Blender....that's on back-order right now.  Already got my Emeril Deep Fryer from T-Fal).  But for the most part, I am content, and gald that I can wake up and see another day.

Sorry for the rambling, but on a chicken note, I am getting ready to build a sturdy chicken run built like Fort Knox, using pressure-treated lumber and those metal joist thingies you use for building porch decks.  It may be overkill and cost several hundred bucks, but I want something to be built once, and will out live me.

I should have been an architect, having many drawings and plans so far, but I will reveal those down the road. Maybe not unique, but it will have many features plus a screened/covered sitting area to watch some "Chicken TV" with a little park bench and coffee table. Small lights strung around the camp to provide some entertainment until bed time, and 24/7 music piped into the area.

I will share my drawings with you all soon.  This is all from scratch from the top of my bean head, and sure you will enjoy. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

I love hearing about people that have stuff, and know they are blessed, understanding, that there is help involved in all things. For me, I have lost everything several times, I have had a very ruff road, but I have always had what I needed to make it. I have learned to much about people that I have a vast understanding, because I was there. Now I hear people such as my sister and brother-in-law talk, and I understand that they are using their life and have no understanding of what is the other person's reality. Example, I worked as a migrant worker. I was blessed, I learned to see thrust a migrant workers eyes. I was homeless, I learned that as well. I learned that it is very complicated. I met a homeless man that had millions, signed it to relatives, he loves the homeless life, can not cope with any thing other then, the mentally ill, the traumatized, those that suffered devastating disaster, monger other reasons. There are those that have lost the will to change, and a few, such as ourselves, that will not stay there. I met an older man that worked with the homeless, who became ill, his family left him so he could get treatment. He was near death serval times, but survived. By the time he got out of the hospital, his family was gone, and he was living on the streets. He struggled to get off the streets, succeeded, and come to believe god had a hand in helping him recover his health, even ending up on the streets. He quite his job that took him years to get in his struggle to become established again. Now in his 50's he is back on the streets, working with the homeless, looking for those few that really want to get out and off the streets. Hip everyone has their hand out, and says the want help. But only a few really do want help, he believes that God sent him there to find those that need help so badly and really want it. Because he was there, he I understand better those that are a wast of time, and those that are going to get out, but could use a little help. I have been blessed with understanding, empathy, and a seeing what fire is like for different walks of life. :love Maybe in my next life I will have learned enough to have an easier go of it. But by noway do I feel sorry for myself, I have gained such riches, I too am content. I will continue shooting for the stars, observing and learning on my journey. That might be why I love traveling, seeing and eating people around the corner. I've seen the sights. The people is what I want to see. I bring chickens as an avenue to the people, maybe, I can enlighten a few, that chickens, also should have a good life.

Last edited:
You have to be cautious with the vaccine - if a chicken is positive for Mg/Ms the vaccine will prove fatal. Chickens receiving the vaccine should always be tested. This is my understanding of what I read. My vet said because of our dry climate we really shouldn't be concerned with it but dipping hatching eggs from out of the southwest wouldn't be a bad idea. Personally I think I'm gonna stick to breeders in the SW from now on.

Have they sad anything about if a chicken has it, will they always have it?

Back
Top Bottom