Arizona Chickens

Nope, they normally can't tell one breed from another. I went to Calranch and atleast they were labeled, but I'm beginning to think my Australorps are not large breed. They look like one day old chicks but they have wing and tail feathers.

12 year old can hold it in one hand. They are about half the size of chicks that are only a few days older. And it's not one, they were all this way. What do you guys think? Did I accidentally buy bantams? Eek

Nope, they normally can't tell one breed from another. I went to Calranch and atleast they were labeled, but I'm beginning to think my Australorps are not large breed. They look like one day old chicks but they have wing and tail feathers.
My Australorps is medium-large sized. She is smaller than my Barred Rock and really close to the size of my Golden Laced Wyandotte. Those 2 are like twins...they stick together. lol

Last edited:
reasons not to buy from a feed store #1

True but I don't live in PHX so I don't have that option. I haven't found a local breeder here, yet. And I don't travel there often.

These chicks are about a week and a half old. The chicks that are large breed and twice their size are 4 to 5 days older.

You would think a feed store would know the difference. Especially Araucana!

Most of the people I've encountered working at feed stores are NOT chicken people. There are plenty of horse people, a few general farm/ranch people, but rarely do I find someone well-versed in poultry and fowl.

One girls informed me she likes working at the feed store because 1) she loves wearing the boots, and 2) she loves the cute farm boys who work there.

Last edited:
You would think a feed store would know the difference. Especially Araucana!

Feed stores buy from the big hatcheries and just label them as the hatcheries do. Remember the big hatcheries are just about volume and production. Their birds are not bred to the breed standard: they are always smaller than they are supposed to be, frequently don't even look like they are supposed to. The "Americana/Amerikana/Araucana" thing with hatcheries has been going on for a long time and has been a constant source of disappointment for people who are just getting into chickens and trust what the label says, then find out later that they really have mutt easter eggers and not a pure breed. It happens over and over again.

Also, the hatcheries have bred leghorn into a lot of their birds to boost egg production. The leghorn being such a good layer, but also burn out after 18 months and stop laying. This is why so many people think a chicken will stop laying at 2 years. I have a Blue Copper Marans hen that is still laying good, she is 4 years old now. The hatcheries also don't pay attention to temperament. Case in point: Production Reds, which are frequently sold as Rhode Island Reds. The hens are aggressive, the males even more so. My true Rhode Island Reds are laid back, never had a mean male, but boy I was spurred by a Production Red years ago, right on the ankle bone, that had me using a cane for a couple of days to get around, it hurt so much. A good smaller breeder is not going to put up with a bad temperament since we know it will breed forward.

Now, there are many fine hens that come from hatcheries that will lay very well and make a nice flock. But if you want to support breeds that may be in danger of extinction because there just aren't enough people working with them? Don't buy from a hatchery. You don't have to be a breeder yourself to lend support. When you buy from someone who is dedicated to improving an old breed, like @Magic chicken with her Black Javas, you are supporting the breed.

Some breeds need help, but people think they are common as dirt, since the hatcheries pump them out by the thousands. But they are not the pure breed. How many people have Barred Rocks? A lot. How many people have one that looks like this one, mine that won Super Show Champion at Safford in January and Champion American at Apache County in February? Now this is a good chicken and has a really nice temperament and he weighs about 10 pounds.

Most of the people I've encountered working at feed stores are NOT chicken people. There are plenty of horse people, a few general farm/ranch people, but rarely do I find someone well-versed in poultry and fowl.

One girls informed me she likes working at the feed store because 1) she loves wearing the boots, and 2) she loves the cute farm boys who work there.
roll.png
But that doesn't surprise me. lol

Feed stores buy from the big hatcheries and just label them as the hatcheries do. Remember the big hatcheries are just about volume and production. Their birds are not bred to the breed standard: they are always smaller than they are supposed to be, frequently don't even look like they are supposed to. The "Americana/Amerikana/Araucana" thing with hatcheries has been going on for a long time and has been a constant source of disappointment for people who are just getting into chickens and trust what the label says, then find out later that they really have mutt easter eggers and not a pure breed. It happens over and over again.

Also, the hatcheries have bred leghorn into a lot of their birds to boost egg production. The leghorn being such a good layer, but also burn out after 18 months and stop laying. This is why so many people think a chicken will stop laying at 2 years. I have a Blue Copper Marans hen that is still laying good, she is 4 years old now. The hatcheries also don't pay attention to temperament. Case in point: Production Reds, which are frequently sold as Rhode Island Reds. The hens are aggressive, the males even more so. My true Rhode Island Reds are laid back, never had a mean male, but boy I was spurred by a Production Red years ago, right on the ankle bone, that had me using a cane for a couple of days to get around, it hurt so much. A good smaller breeder is not going to put up with a bad temperament since we know it will breed forward.

Now, there are many fine hens that come from hatcheries that will lay very well and make a nice flock. But if you want to support breeds that may be in danger of extinction because there just aren't enough people working with them? Don't buy from a hatchery. You don't have to be a breeder yourself to lend support. When you buy from someone who is dedicated to improving an old breed, like @Magic chicken with her Black Javas, you are supporting the breed.

Some breeds need help, but people think they are common as dirt, since the hatcheries pump them out by the thousands. But they are not the pure breed. How many people have Barred Rocks? A lot. How many people have one that looks like this one, mine that won Super Show Champion at Safford in January and Champion American at Apache County in February? Now this is a good chicken and has a really nice temperament and he weighs about 10 pounds.
Gorgeous!
I'm still pretty new at chicken-ing, lol, this being our 3rd year in. Most of our more standard breeds are from feed stores. We've had a few mean males, but I think part of that was our fault. Our females are sweet, friendly, and though not all lap chickens, they will certainly follow you around. However, I definitely see the difference in your bird as opposed to the barred rocks I've got. Even the ones I got from a local young(teenager) breeder, were not like this!

Back
Top Bottom