Arizona Chickens

POLISH!

Sound's awesome! Sad I didn't get to go now......

So Sorry about Jaspers toe!! Hope gets better!

Thanks. Vet today, round 2 of antibiotic. Until I can x-ray, valley fever test, etc it's kind of a guess. Given his size they're taking sedating him which ups the cost. Right now, 2 doses in the swelling is going down. I'm hopeful that maybe it just needed more, but his poor gut. He's refusing plain yogurt! The brat.

HELP!!

Yukon is swollen in her abdomen and I don't know why!!

I have checked her vent for egg binding, no egg, though she is showing all of the symptoms!! what else could this be? I can't loose another bird, not after Dory, and if I can't find out what this is and how to stop it, I have a feeling thing may not go well for my poor silkie. She is acting normal, eating drinking, and doesn't really have a penguin strut, but she is swollen in the abdomen and hasn't laid an egg since august! Im worried that it could be a seious egg bound that I just couldn't detect, or it's something worse. Pleas e if anyone has any info, let me know as soon as possible so I can help my Yukon out. (She's so cute, after I inspected her thouroghly, stuck my finger up her bum and felt around for about 10 minutes, and felt her abdomen, she's cuddling contently inside of my jacket pocket right now whilst I type. Pocket Burb!)
Think I read about giving a diode of calcium, like getting up pull in water amount don't recall & soaking her in a warm bath for about 15 minutes. Past that, not sure. Give her some pumpkin maybe? Seeds too to help clear out the digestive tract? Couldn't hurt. Good she's eating & drinking. Much brave than me with the finger checking! If be scared I'd hurt her.

Think I read about giving a diode of calcium, like getting up pull in water amount don't recall & soaking her in a warm bath for about 15 minutes. Past that, not sure. Give her some pumpkin maybe? Seeds too to help clear out the digestive tract? Couldn't hurt. Good she's eating & drinking. Much brave than me with the finger checking! If be scared I'd hurt her.

My bantams haven't laid in a while either. Could just be part of the cycle. I did find what I suspect it's a bantam egg from my oldest Cochin. In her spot, her color & shape. So maybe she'll start soon. Is she putting OK weight for winter perhaps too? Far out there thought I know.

Question........I have layer mash feeders that are the bucket style so the chickens put their heads in to get the feed. Very little beaking out and very little loss to the wild birds. BUT right now I am having a problem with the bees eating the mash and in the holes where the chickens eat. Has anyone else got this problem AND what have you done about it. I'm going to try putting out a tray of sugar water hoping to call the bees away from the feeders but that is problematic just by its nature, can't have it in the giant run because you don't want the chickens to eat it and is just outside the run close enough for them to "smell" something better!! Any ideas are appreciated......

Are you giving them a feed that has something like honey or molasses in it? The bee's could be attracted to those types of ingredients.

Question........I have layer mash feeders that are the bucket style so the chickens put their heads in to get the feed. Very little beaking out and very little loss to the wild birds. BUT right now I am having a problem with the bees eating the mash and in the holes where the chickens eat. Has anyone else got this problem AND what have you done about it. I'm going to try putting out a tray of sugar water hoping to call the bees away from the feeders but that is problematic just by its nature, can't have it in the giant run because you don't want the chickens to eat it and is just outside the run close enough for them to "smell" something better!! Any ideas are appreciated......
We have a problem with bees in the fall. It seems like every year we have them all over the mash because there is a lack of a natural source of food for them and they are attracted to the chicken feed. I haven't found a fix for it, but we do put out several pans of mash fa away from the run hoping that it will draw some of the bees away. It's a relatively short amount of time, but it's a huge hassle. The chickens don't want to eat around the bees, so they tend to not eat as much as they should.

I'm looking into the possibility of late blooming wild flowers to tempt the bees away from the chicken feed for next year...

We have a problem with bees in the fall. It seems like every year we have them all over the mash because there is a lack of a natural source of food for them and they are attracted to the chicken feed. I haven't found a fix for it, but we do put out several pans of mash fa away from the run hoping that it will draw some of the bees away. It's a relatively short amount of time, but it's a huge hassle. The chickens don't want to eat around the bees, so they tend to not eat as much as they should.

I'm looking into the possibility of late blooming wild flowers to tempt the bees away from the chicken feed for next year...

@FeatherPugs

Do both of you use dry mash? I ferment the chicken feed in the cooler months and at least soak it during the hotter months and only see the occasional bee around the food. I see A LOT of them around the water containers, but not so much around the feed. (And every year we need to have at least one massive swarm removed from our property, but that has nothing to do with the chickens.)

Are you giving them a feed that has something like honey or molasses in it? The bee's could be attracted to those types of ingredients.

@FeatherPugs

Do both of you use dry mash? I ferment the chicken feed in the cooler months and at least soak it during the hotter months and only see the occasional bee around the food. I see A LOT of them around the water containers, but not so much around the feed. (And every year we need to have at least one massive swarm removed from our property, but that has nothing to do with the chickens.)

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. I feed Purina crumbles - logically it is sweet. The fermented feed the girls don't like but I could wet it but I do free feed so that really doesn't help but to get more of the good food into them - I might try it. Obviously the bees aren't there in the cooler mornings so the chickens are eating but they sure are a pain in the booty. Wild flowers is a great idea for next year but I guess I'll be putting out some sugar water for now. Thanks again everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
celebrate.gif
Try not to get more stuffed than the turkey!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom