Arizona Chickens

I was just going there @MagicChicken and @Btruax! In the first months they kinda molt their down to their new feathers and later on 4, 5,6 months they do what I call blowing their baby feathers for their teenager look! This is probably what is going on with you. I don't really notice these molts as they just seem to happen - nothing like the hard molt we had this last time. Soon you'll have one of those broody hens peck at your hand!
@Babycat ranch - great pic of your eggs AND you are only about 5 miles from me - give or take how I get there! I'll have to come see your chicks, I'll call first and unfortunately it is usually late morning, early afternoon when my body says okay you can do things now!

I'm not far from casa grande myself, San tan valley/ Florence border. I might have to take the kids over and check them out myself.

I did just clean all the feathers out of their cage, and in a couple of hours later it doesn't look like I did anything this morning.

My 19 babies are out in their new coop for the first time today
I spent the morning with them, they loved it and started dust bathing right away and ate lots of snacks for the first time
I'll bring them in tonight

Roo had a small reaction from the other side but nothing bad I told him no and he went back to his girls.. he will be happier when they mature lol

Tons of feathers again and not a single one after I cleaned it. I don't know why I bother.

Attachments

• IMG_20180310_145748.jpg
    IMG_20180310_145748.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
Oh Lawd, not another one...

My brats have been eating merrily, making their cute little cooing noises or whatever you call it. One big fat BR perches right next to the wire, looking at me and making all these little chirping (not peeping) sounds. It's the one that lets me stroke its back and throat, and if it does peck on occasion, it's so gentle. Some of the others get a little curious and crowd up near me. As long as I don't try to touch them, they're okay. They make sweet little noises while staring at me. When I throw some scratch in there on occasion, the BR likes to eat out of the glass measuring cup, still making these little noises and a few others gather to eat out of the cup.

Anyhoo, This evening I stood there about about 10 minutes or so observing them as I usually do, and then I noticed...one Austra-White is developing a bigger comb and longer tail than the other two, and is a little more vocal, not crowing, just more talkative. I know nothing about this "new" hybrid (BA over Leghorn or vice versa?) and have to go back to the website to read the description and talk to someone about if these are auto-sexing at birth.

All the other hens have tiny combs, but it looks like a third boy may be emerging. That's okay, I didn't want 12 to begin with and can deal with 9 (fewer to fight over three nest boxes), but I over-ordered expecting losses and they ALL survived the shipping. You all know my story.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom