Arizona Chickens

I never encountered feather picking,,, and think low protein may be a leading factor. I feed 18% Alflock.
Even when being feed a sufficient protein feed, some chickens may need more for a variety of reasons.
One of my theories, is a particular chicken produces more eggs than normally would with a standard ration.:idunno She then needs more protein.
One quick way to increase protein ,,,,, is to give the girls some (I did not say to overdo) :old cat food.
(cat food is higher protein %% than dog food)
Easily seen in my Avatar,,, that the girls like to raid the cat dishes when possible:gig.
I don't think @SonoranChick hens are overcrowded. Seen that BEAUTIFUL PALACE her DH built. :thumbsup
Chickens really need animal proteins, so no matter how high a protein feed you get it's always just gonna have soy protein in it anyway.
I ALWAYS see increased egg production, feather condition, and overall health when I add animal protein to my birds diet. There is a Dumor chick grower crumble at TSC that lists animal byproducts in the ingredients and that's the 20%, in the 20lb bag only. But when I can what I usually do is get pond fish pellets. I think it's like 25lbs for $13 at TSC.
In the summer I make a wet feed out of regular feed, the pond fish pellets, scratch, and some alfalfa/bermuda pellets sold for horses. I add just enough water to cover it all, then let sit for at least 12 hours, longer is better because then it starts fermenting a little bit. It swells to another 1/3 the volume, and it makes everything more digestable, especially in the summer heat. They LOVE the stuff. I would rather get the turkey grower mash they make at the feed store down in Willcox as they add fish meal directly to their formula, but it's a 2 hour drive one way, so not really feasable.

Plucking can also be a sign of bordom.... just a thought. Maybe some saw horses, pallets, random beat up lawn furniture, variety of shady places and things to hop around on to make their area more interesting may help?

Is that organic feed co-op still going on? When I was had the flock last time, a guy named Tim organized a bulk delivery of organic feed that was far, far superior to anything you can find in stores. I had great results from fermenting it and feeding it to my flock. They were all large and had absolutely gorgeous feathers.

I also feed mine mealworms. I have a delivery of 1100 coming off Amazon too start my mealworm farm. It is so simple to do, but easily adds extra protein and nutrients to their diet. It's like crack to them. Think catnip...

Boredom can be a big thing, too, of course. Hanging swings and things that make noise seem to be popular. I'm adding a xylophone to ours if I can find one today. Hang flashy things like canning lids for them to pick at. Get dog treat toys that you put the treats inside and make them work to get the treats out of.

Chickens really need animal proteins, so no matter how high a protein feed you get it's always just gonna have soy protein in it anyway.

Check out Phoenix Organic Feed. It is the co-op I was just asking about. It is organic, no corn and no soy. The layer feed us 16% protein, using fish meal. $27 for a $50 pound bag. The catch is that it is only a monthly deliver.

But when I can what I usually do is get pond fish pellets. I think it's like 25lbs for $13 at TSC.
In the summer I make a wet feed out of regular feed, the pond fish pellets, scratch, and some alfalfa/bermuda pellets sold for horses. I add just enough water to cover it all, then let sit for at least 12 hours, longer is better because then it starts fermenting a little bit. It swells to another 1/3 the volume, and it makes everything more digestable, especially in the summer heat. They LOVE the stuff.
Thanks, great idea for affordable protein!

Hi everyone!

I was kindly reminded of the AZ board by BlueBaby. I kind of ended up with "10" chickens this year from the stores ( ;);) :p 68 is 10!) and I have a few more roos than I can deal with! So hard choices to be made. (Just putting here that I am in Paulden, AZ.)

I have two Buff Brahma bantam cockerels (roos) I am giving for free, here is the post with photos and more info for them: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/two-buff-brahma-bantam-roos-arizona.1312704/
BuffBrahmaRooBOTHsecondphoto5.23.2019.jpg

And I had to make a harder decision about a red frizzle cochin cockerel, who I'm letting go for $10 (open to offers). I ended up with three red frizzles, hoping one would be a girl, but two I know are boys, and I am pretty sure #3 is a boy as well... Crazy thing, when I first got it it would run up, peck an older chick, then run away peeping like crazy when it'd get pecked back. I don't know what it expected. :/
Last but not least, what I am pretty sure is a gold laced cochin bantam cockerel, but possible a partridge. I am really on the fence about this one because my older GLCB hates my face, and I wanted to try getting sex linked gold laced babies from him and some silver laced gals I have (also wanted to see if the shape of this new one is better than the older one). I got this one hoping he would be a she. $5, or if you get the red frizzle I'll give you this one, because they were raised together. Or I might change my mind about this one tonight...
Post with more info about these here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...idge-cochin-bantam-cockerels-arizona.1312718/
PartrigeandFrizzelcochin.jpg
Thanks! :)

Well, I had to do it, my broody is now in her own little space, I went out this morning to check on everyone, I noticed eggs in some of the other boxes, I checked under her and one of the original eggs got broke and there were two new ones, so she kept the new ones and got moved.. if chickens could cuss my ears would be on fire..lol.. so now she has access to water and food without having to get down out of the box and she and I both don't have to worry about one of the others getting in the nest and breaking eggs.
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_media_upload2_1558979534970.jpg

Well, I had to do it, my broody is now in her own little space, I went out this morning to check on everyone, I noticed eggs in some of the other boxes, I checked under her and one of the original eggs got broke and there were two new ones, so she kept the new ones and got moved.. if chickens could cuss my ears would be on fire..lol.. so now she has access to water and food without having to get down out of the box and she and I both don't have to worry about one of the others getting in the nest and breaking eggs.View attachment 1791510

Good decision! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom