Arizona Chickens

@starri33 Start keeping an eye on the one's that are standing more upright and acting more of a bully (jumping on other chick's, and quicker to run up to you). Those will more than likely be your boy's. The girl's comb's and wattles will stay basically flat to the head and the boy's will start growing more pinker comb's, and the wattles will look like they are starting to drop. Since they are Naked Neck's, they won't have all that feathering that cover's the comb's and/or wattles of other breed's up where you can't easily see that.

@starri33 Start keeping an eye on the one's that are standing more upright and acting more of a bully (jumping on other chick's, and quicker to run up to you). Those will more than likely be your boy's. The girl's comb's and wattles will stay basically flat to the head and the boy's will start growing more pinker comb's, and the wattles will look like they are starting to drop. Since they are Naked Neck's, they won't have all that feathering that cover's the comb's and/or wattles of other breed's up where you can't easily see that.
They are now about 2 weeks old, no one is growing any larger than anyone else, with the except of runt.. she's tiny. Houdini is big, he was that way coming out of the shell.. Glad that I hadn't sent my extra roo's on to their new home, 3 of my OE, EE's hatchlings turned out to be boys, I thought I'd lost one of my hens, well I guess one that I thought was a roo turned out to be a hen.. maybe the one I lost was a roo. I went around to the bachelor pad to give them their treats and spotted a egg, lol.. I wasn't 100% sure when we caught her that she was a roo, but took her out anyway.. so now she's back in with the main flock. lol, egg must have been laid today, I tested it and it sank. They are all running around and jumping on each other, but I haven't had a hatch yet that hasn't done that. lol.

All four have been named, Houdini, Walker, Scratch and Runt. lol, I'll see if they will work with me and let me get pictures.. @BlueBaby the little clean neck I am sure it a blue.. still got the very interesting feathering.

You'll just have to see how that one feather's out later, being as both of it's parent's are different color's, and have not been breed to only be a flock of the Black/Blue/Splash one's.

Depending on how the NN are bred you will sometimes see a comb - such as a barred rock/NN cross. What is more prominent I'm told (I really don't KNOW) are the waddles start growing differently - longer, broader, more into the neck, etc. This is how the breeder (help me @BlueBaby) in Green Valley was able to sex mine and she got all but one spot on - remember I wanted eye candy. I have some with large combs that I watched for frostbite during our 20 degree nights and some with little flower/button combs. I do enjoy watching them.

Depending on how the NN are bred you will sometimes see a comb - such as a barred rock/NN cross. What is more prominent I'm told (I really don't KNOW) are the waddles start growing differently - longer, broader, more into the neck, etc. This is how the breeder (help me @BlueBaby) in Green Valley was able to sex mine and she got all but one spot on - remember I wanted eye candy. I have some with large combs that I watched for frostbite during our 20 degree nights and some with little flower/button combs. I do enjoy watching them.

It's my understanding that @starri33 has just the one's that have the single straight comb's. The rooster that she's using for her NN's is Charley, the NN/Breese mix rooster that I had before and that she got from me. @starri33 had gotten a hold of 6 NN pullet's near where she live's at. I think those hen's also have the straight single comb's.

I had no problem with my NN's comb's here on our colder night temp's. @starri33 I think, does get a bit of snow up there where she is at, though.

It's my understanding that @starri33 has just the one's that have the single straight comb's. The rooster that she's using for her NN's is Charley, the NN/Breese mix rooster that I had before and that she got from me. @starri33 had gotten a hold of 6 NN pullet's near where she live's at. I think those hen's also have the straight single comb's.

I had no problem with my NN's comb's here on our colder night temp's. @starri33 I think, does get a bit of snow up there where she is at, though.
We do get snow every now and then, but not a whole lot, I'll have to check everyone's combs now.. haven't paid attention, I know from my roo's from the first one in the main flock, a double comb meant a roo. We've not stayed cold enough for long enough to really be worried about frost bite.

@BlueBaby , @igorsMistress , how long would you say it takes the NN's to show whether or not they are Cockerel's or Pullets? I've got a hatch that will be 2 weeks old tomorrow and no signs really of combs yet.
Sometimes it takes a little longer to be sure, I would say maybe a couple more weeks at the most. Do any of them act like boys?

Back
Top Bottom