Arizona Chickens

@Michelle Guynn Used to live here in Az. but she and her DH moved to Pennsylvania. She has silkies and hatches them with her broody silkie hen's. I'm sure that she would be able to answer your questions about silkies.
Good I'll have to keep her in mind, I will hopefully have my silkie eggs tomorrow, I think that Cruella is going to get them, I gave her 3 eggs today, tomorrow is day 1, so if I get the silkies, there won't be that big of a gap between them,

Must are going to be either blue or a blue/black splash and one is a buff color.

I hope that you don't sell those one's for now, and keep them so that you can breed some more of them later. Good one's of those are hard to find, so later on you will be able to supply your future chick's or the hatching egg's from those.

:eek::thEvening, I just confirmed this evening that I now have 3 broodies..lol, two in my main flock and one in my Naked Neck. I'm going to be knee deep in chicks. I have 6 eggs in my incubator. I wasn't expecting 3 broodies, if anyone else goes broody, I'm going to be in trouble.. lol. My first girl that went broody is sitting on 4 eggs, my second girl that went broody is currently sitting on a egg that I don't believe is fertile, but I am hoping to get 5 or 6 silkie eggs for her to sit on, then Jill my girl that is in with the NN's, has one egg and I will give her more tomorrow. does anyone here raise silkies? lol, I don't have a clue about their needs.
I have a few pens of Silkies and they are my most broody breed. I keep the pens separate because broodiness is contagious, as you've noticed. They're good moms and I occasionally slip other breeds' eggs under them. They'll also take on much bigger birds to protect their chicks.

I have a few pens of Silkies and they are my most broody breed. I keep the pens separate because broodiness is contagious, as you've noticed. They're good moms and I occasionally slip other breeds' eggs under them. They'll also take on much bigger birds to protect their chicks.
What do the pen's you have for your silkies look like? I'll pick up my eggs today along with a dozen, Americuna and Americuna/Legbar's.. I've got a 24 count incubator and it's going to be full if I break it out, I had been just going to give my silkie eggs to one of the broodies till a friend requested 6 blue egg layers. Still have to figure out what the other 6 eggs are going to be..lol.. Would you mind posting pictures of your set up? I know tending to them is going to be a handful.. so any tips I can get for keeping them clean and dry I would appreciate.

Back
Top Bottom