Arizona Chickens

I meant it'd be hard to sneak them into the freezer when the time came. But I'd love to come help, I can probably even help catch meat birds!
I have this, I'd need to elevate it somehow to reach the roosts:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HFGJ3T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this on order, which I plan to attach at roost level:
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...EM_triggeredem_rolling_orderconfirm_allpromos
The first one seems like it should be enough. The second one only holds 750 ml, less than a quart, are you going to put it on an auto fill like a big cooler has? You could just install an exhaust fan up high, to suck heat out. That is surprisingly effective in my house when getting cool air to the far bedroom. We use our swamp cooler a lot.

I meant it'd be hard to sneak them into the freezer when the time came. But I'd love to come help, I can probably even help catch meat birds!
You could tell him you got some free range meat-birds from me. Most can eat a chicken they have never met! My guy was out there feeding them Cheerios this morning. The Ideal chicks run to him -- he has moved a lawn chair out there and gives them bits of his salmon.

You could tell him you got some free range meat-birds from me. Most can eat a chicken they have never met! My guy was out there feeding them Cheerios this morning. The Ideal chicks run to him -- he has moved a lawn chair out there and gives them bits of his salmon.

I miss being able to sit out there on my bucket with mine to watch them, but it's just been too hot. I go out to check on them every couple of hours, and pick up any eggs that happen to have been layed.

I'm also having to check on my next door neighbor's animals (dog's, goat's, and chicken's) for them for now, along with grabbing their mail. Yes, I do take a cold bottle of water with me when I go over there to do that.

The first one seems like it should be enough. The second one only holds 750 ml, less than a quart, are you going to put it on an auto fill like a big cooler has? You could just install an exhaust fan up high, to suck heat out. That is surprisingly effective in my house when getting cool air to the far bedroom. We use our swamp cooler a lot.
I don't think you can fill it from a hose, the 750 ml is supposed to last 8 hours, and it's pretty small. I think it'll just be enough to help cool the roost area. My roost is not enclosed, except on the north side now, and small pieces of siding for wind breaks, and sun shade cloth.

I don't think you can fill it from a hose, the 750 ml is supposed to last 8 hours, and it's pretty small. I think it'll just be enough to help cool the roost area. My roost is not enclosed, except on the north side now, and small pieces of siding for wind breaks, and sun shade cloth.
In our weather, I would not expect it to last the "rated" time! Like some of the little coops that are "rated" for 15 chickens! This is the one we got -- one for our house and one for the guest house. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigiki...ler-for-700-sq-ft-with-Motor-BW3004/204700045

Poor house chickens! Here is what their little chicken brains are imagining:View attachment 2243139
HAH yes!! Exactly.. they were watching the birds at the fountain... but little did they know this was overhead! Bastard was circling my yard this morning WHILE I WAS STANDING THERE with my dogs. (not actual photo of said hawk).
CLO_Hawk_over_Pioneer_Park_t715.jpg

I miss being able to sit out there on my bucket with mine to watch them, but it's just been too hot. I go out to check on them every couple of hours, and pick up any eggs that happen to have been layed.

I'm also having to check on my next door neighbor's animals (dog's, goat's, and chicken's) for them for now, along with grabbing their mail. Yes, I do take a cold bottle of water with me when I go over there to do that.
I would imagine if you did not pick up the eggs that often they would be hard boiled by the next morning!

HAH yes!! Exactly.. they were watching the birds at the fountain... but little did they know this was overhead! Bastard was circling my yard this morning WHILE I WAS STANDING THERE with my dogs. (not actual photo of said hawk).View attachment 2243357
He knows that he is faster than you or your little dogs!:mad: They get bold!

He knows that he is faster than you or your little dogs!:mad: They get bold!
Yep, and I wouldn't doubt it is the same one that is always here. I am not sure if they are territorial or not. I stopped putting bird seed out because it came down and ate some of the poor birds while they were eating from the ground year before last. Now I only put enough for them to eat for a few minutes and then it will run out and they can leave. And ever since I got these dogs last year, it seems to circle my house. I pick the dogs up quickly, and go in, but it is frustrating.

Yep, and I wouldn't doubt it is the same one that is always here. I am not sure if they are territorial or not. I stopped putting bird seed out because it came down and ate some of the poor birds while they were eating from the ground year before last. Now I only put enough for them to eat for a few minutes and then it will run out and they can leave. And ever since I got these dogs last year, it seems to circle my house. I pick the dogs up quickly, and go in, but it is frustrating.
We have a falcon nest on Thumb Butte, ~2 miles as the falcon flies! They are protected and the trails up there are closed while they are nesting. They are hunting for 4 right now. Needless to say I have a completely covered run. Surrounded by electric fencing to keep out the coyotes, javalina, skunks (last night), not to mention raccoons. Takes a little time to close and turn on the electric fence, but it has already been tested against the javalina with great success! I love it.

Back
Top Bottom