Arizona Chickens

The SO was impatient. So we ended up getting 7 🙄. They had black star, golden star, black austerlorp, production red, easter eggers, and barred rock. Do you know what kind of chicks she had?

She listed them above right here on this page. Her duck hatched them for her.

Hello from PA. I just thought would check in. My flock is doing good. Moved the turkins to the coop with the big ones last weekend and they are adjusting well.
Big news is we are expecting over a foot of snow tomorrow. I can’t wait to see what the silkies think of it lol.
Hope all is well with you all!

Good to hear from you and that you are doing ok. No need for you to share your snow with me though. ;) I had someone ask me if I had some hen's over here that I would sell, so I might be able to thin my flock down a bit soon. I'm up to 28 now. :oops:

Good morning AZ. So I have decided to set the number of layers to begin with, at 20. I’m still leaning toward BA’s, until someone talks me out of it... heh. Will be building an 8x24 shed to include an 8x14 coop and 8x10 storage/misc room. (Brooder and chick raising room?) May go 8x16 for coop and 8x8 storage... not certain just yet. Attached to the coop will be a covered 12x24 run, and later I will add some additional run space without a roof in case of overcrowding.

Ive looked through tons of coop ideas and builds here on the forum and due to the hot/cold extremes here, my 1st coop will be sort of a combo open air/enclosed coop. Being 8x14 or 8x16, I will leave maybe a 6 or 8 foot opening on the broad side wall under the covered run for the hot months in the summer, and have a nice sliding barn style door to seal up the coop in the coldest months or really windy days. I‘m up on a hill and the wind gets ridiculous at times. I‘m working on drawing up the interior coop layout and storage area, but I played around with an exterior render of what I want to build. It’s pretty generic with just some basic textures and I will of course have other ventilation and real framing for the run and nice beefy HC barrier, shade cloth etc. But here’s what I stayed up all night doing...
9EB62F1C-EC61-4226-B7ED-4A617B432C67.png
A76F2AEB-B388-405C-AA50-6D012B8FBFB0.png

Will share my layout plans as soon as I get them done too because I need to get rolling fast on this project. I was most inspired by @DobieLover and “The Mulligan“ coop layout. So I’ll be drawing some more after a lil nap.
Comments, advice, ideas and more are most welcomed for this noob as I feed my chicken fever.

Good morning AZ. So I have decided to set the number of layers to begin with, at 20. I’m still leaning toward BA’s, until someone talks me out of it... heh. Will be building an 8x24 shed to include an 8x14 coop and 8x10 storage/misc room. (Brooder and chick raising room?) May go 8x16 for coop and 8x8 storage... not certain just yet. Attached to the coop will be a covered 12x24 run, and later I will add some additional run space without a roof in case of overcrowding.

Ive looked through tons of coop ideas and builds here on the forum and due to the hot/cold extremes here, my 1st coop will be sort of a combo open air/enclosed coop. Being 8x14 or 8x16, I will leave maybe a 6 or 8 foot opening on the broad side wall under the covered run for the hot months in the summer, and have a nice sliding barn style door to seal up the coop in the coldest months or really windy days. I‘m up on a hill and the wind gets ridiculous at times. I‘m working on drawing up the interior coop layout and storage area, but I played around with an exterior render of what I want to build. It’s pretty generic with just some basic textures and I will of course have other ventilation and real framing for the run and nice beefy HC barrier, shade cloth etc. But here’s what I stayed up all night doing...View attachment 2451388View attachment 2451389
Will share my layout plans as soon as I get them done too because I need to get rolling fast on this project. I was most inspired by @DobieLover and “The Mulligan“ coop layout. So I’ll be drawing some more after a lil nap.
Comments, advice, ideas and more are most welcomed for this noob as I feed my chicken fever.
Lots of thought went into this! where in SW AZ are you--- do you get snow, or is it as hot as Phx? If it's very hot you might want to be able to open almost all of the long side into the run in summer. The slope of the roof looks like it'll handle a decent snow load. And you might want to put the garden (or duck run??) near the rain barrel, it'll fill up in no time.

Ok, and if you need an Aloha boy later, let me know. I'm sure that some of these 3 week old one's in my brooder are boy's, and I'll only be keeping the girl's from this batch of 10.
I did edit my last response to you. Not SLW but Cindy is a Silver laced English Orpington. This little black chick must be from her. I have a Cochin splash & possibly a silkie roosters, so no more for us.

Finally going to start my chicken hobby this week! Coop is going to be finished by January so I'm going to start with some chicks so that the coop will be done by the time they are ready to transition outside. There's a local shop that sells chicks and will take back any that are not pullets and they have 3 varieties right now.
I want to start off with 6 and see how I do from there, but I have a few questions. Is it better off to get a few of each breed or can I do 1 of each? I didn't see any for sale in the forum, do people usually sell their chicks? and if so do they take back any that aren't pullets. If I were to get the 3 types now and add later, how hard is it to introduce younger chickens?
Check out different breeds but yeah introducing older to younger can end up in a pecking battle as the top hen will not let anyone mess with her or her food. Our area has places for the lower hens to run off to or hide behind. Not sure if people take back rooster but most home based chicks are half hens-half cockerels which
6E1D675F-2527-42F4-8258-FFA68FDF6876.jpeg
means a straight run.

Back
Top Bottom