Arizona Chickens

I just brought them breakfast. Clucking is starting to happen. Maybe something did scare them.

Good idea. I thought about a padlock, but they can freeze up in bad weather.
I just use a tent stake or a heavy bent nail. Tie a string to the stake/nail and also to the wall or fence. Then tie a bright colored bow on it to see it better from a distance (to know if it's "latched" or hanging down on the string). This hardly ever freezes & you don't need a key or combination. I also use spring loaded hook latch - this can freeze.

I just use a tent stake or a heavy bent nail. Tie a string to the stake/nail and also to the wall or fence. Then tie a bright colored bow on it to see it better from a distance (to know if it's "latched" or hanging down on the string). This hardly ever freezes & you don't need a key or combination. I also use spring loaded hook latch - this can freeze.
Good thinking! When it starts snowing or we get freezing rain, I can do this instead of the padlock. :)

I've been feeding a half and half mixture of 16% layer pellets and all flock, with goodies like cracked corn, mealworms, or greens on top.
Just wondering if you are providing some cracked oysters shells as calcium supplement free-choice?? It is a good thing to provide, even if you were just using Layer feed. I use Alflock only, with Oyster shells free-choice, because I have some layers, and some Geriatric retired non-layers.
Good thinking! When it starts snowing or we get freezing rain, I can do this instead of the padlock. :)
Padlocks are good when predator concerns include the 2 legged type. It is simple deterrent. If so, then use padlock. During questionable weather, you can use a plastic bag, and poke the shackle right thru the plastic, as you place on the hasp.
If no 2 legged concerns, then a snap carabiner should be sufficient. A large one is easy to see if it is there, and easy to open. Pix is for idea, these are available everywhere.

biner.PNG

Just wondering if you are providing some cracked oysters shells as calcium supplement free-choice?? It is a good thing to provide, even if you were just using Layer feed. I use Alflock only, with Oyster shells free-choice, because I have some layers, and some Geriatric retired non-layers.

Padlocks are good when predator concerns include the 2 legged type. It is simple deterrent. If so, then use padlock. During questionable weather, you can use a plastic bag, and poke the shackle right thru the plastic, as you place on the hasp.
If no 2 legged concerns, then a snap carabiner should be sufficient. A large one is easy to see if it is there, and easy to open. Pix is for idea, these are available everywhere.

View attachment 2544906

No, but I do have some cracked oyster shell calcium on hand. I wasn't feeding it becasue of the calcium in the pellets, but can give them some right now.

They are outside again, with the girls scratching and pecking and Big Ben watching.

Good idea. I thought about a padlock, but they can freeze up in bad weather.
that's true, I had that happen with a carabeener 2 yrs ago. luckily my padlock hasn't frozen. You'd have to keep wd-40 on hand.
I've had birds stay in and refuse to free range, but figured they saw/heard/smelled something I didn't, the birds are pretty good at surviving that way. Maybe too much corn/goodies--that'll put birds off laying, or a possible hidden nest?

that's true, I had that happen with a carabeener 2 yrs ago. luckily my padlock hasn't frozen. You'd have to keep wd-40 on hand.
I've had birds stay in and refuse to free range, but figured they saw/heard/smelled something I didn't, the birds are pretty good at surviving that way. Maybe too much corn/goodies--that'll put birds off laying, or a possible hidden nest?
Still no eggs. I'll cut back on the corn. I raked around and didn't find a hidden nest.

Back
Top Bottom