Arizona Chickens

I've been researching replacing greenhouse (GH) plastic for over a month...this is chicken related since 7 chickens have spent the winter in the GH... I finally connected with the Northern Greenhouse owner (in Manitoba) who wanted me to have a big discount on the material! It's heavy duty 12 mil woven laminated translucent material that holds up to the wind, hail, snow load & even to cats claws. I can't wait to get it on-site & installed.

I won't have to be constantly patching holes like the one layer 6 mil plastic on it now. Every storm I was thinking what do I do with those special chickens if there is no GH covering????

I've been researching replacing greenhouse (GH) plastic for over a month...this is chicken related since 7 chickens have spent the winter in the GH... I finally connected with the Northern Greenhouse owner (in Manitoba) who wanted me to have a big discount on the material! It's heavy duty 12 mil woven laminated translucent material that holds up to the wind, hail, snow load & even to cats claws. I can't wait to get it on-site & installed.

I won't have to be constantly patching holes like the one layer 6 mil plastic on it now. Every storm I was thinking what do I do with those special chickens if there is no GH covering????
These special chickens get Harbor Freight blue tarp! They do not know the difference. The duct tape adds that special touch to keep out drafty wind and snow. :lau

You are a good chicken owner!

These special chickens get Harbor Freight blue tarp! They do not know the difference. The duct tape adds that special touch to keep out drafty wind and snow. :lau
I also use tarp like material sold as translucent groundcover (I got 3 rolls of it on clearance about 3 years ago) to windblock the breezy summer coop but still let in light. It's great - let me know if you need any of that kind of material when your tarps wear out.

**EDIT: I probably have enough of this UV stable translucent 6' wide material to offer to any of you - let me know if your interested in trying it out & about how much you need. I make regular trips back and forth from Prescott area to Mesa. **

And believe me- I have PLENTY of feet yards of tape on this GH and with the flaps blowing in the crazy wind we have in CV I've been patching the roll up flaps sometimes OVER the top of the ropes & wiggle wire (which is very wrong- but necessary) just to keep it from ripping up above the flaps! And GH repair tape is expensive UV stabilized ...but I did find out cheaper Gorilla tape might also be UV stabile so I'm testing that against the more specialized GH tape to see the diff.

Last edited:
I also use tarp like material sold as translucent groundcover (I got 3 rolls of it on clearance about 3 years ago) to windblock the breezy summer coop but still let in light. It's great - let me know if you need any of that kind of material when your tarps wear out.

And believe me- I have PLENTY of feet yards of tape on this GH and with the flaps blowing in the crazy wind we have in CV I've been patching the roll up flaps sometimes OVER the top of the ropes & wiggle wire (which is very wrong- but necessary) just to keep it from ripping up above the flaps! And GH repair tape is expensive UV stabilized ...but I did find out cheaper Gorilla tape might also be UV stabile so I'm testing that against the more specialized GH tape to see the diff.
I will have to check out that Gorilla tape! I will be removing the side tarps pretty soon for the warm weather. I have considered using a pole to roll up the tarps for nice spring days. Mostly I just let them out those days, lazy!

Back
Top Bottom