Arizona Chickens

Yard sales, 50 cents each, and inspect very carefully for cracks. Usually not worth it, too time sucking to inspect boxes of dirty jars.
I have not done any canning for 30+ years, and have no intention of starting now. I also don't have any thing to can. :gig :thumbsup

But I do read a lot,,,,,,,,,,,,, and supposedly the older jars were of better quality, than the NEW ONES CURRENTLY SELLING. :idunno

I container grow many flowers. Few eatable items,,,,, 1, pot of cucumbers. 7 pots of tomatoes, (mostly cherry tomatoes for salads) and 7 containers of Sorrel. Pick the sorrel, and freeze in plastic baggies, portion size, Use for soups, and add to meatloaf type of cooking as well.
but--fish poo veggies?? Not too sure about that.
The Amish sell their veggies grown on Horse Apples, and Cow Pies.
If you ever swam in a lake or river,,,,,,, I'm sure you swallowed microscopic fish stools.:gig,,,,, Protein equivalent.,, Just think of the assortment of minerals as well.:highfive:

I have not done any canning for 30+ years, and have no intention of starting now. I also don't have any thing to can. :gig :thumbsup

But I do read a lot,,,,,,,,,,,,, and supposedly the older jars were of better quality, than the NEW ONES CURRENTLY SELLING. :idunno

I container grow many flowers. Few eatable items,,,,, 1, pot of cucumbers. 7 pots of tomatoes, (mostly cherry tomatoes for salads) and 7 containers of Sorrel. Pick the sorrel, and freeze in plastic baggies, portion size, Use for soups, and add to meatloaf type of cooking as well.

If you ever swam in a lake or river,,,,,,, I'm sure you swallowed microscopic fish stools.:gig,,,,, Protein equivalent.,, Just think of the assortment of minerals as well.:highfive:
🤢 Yuck.

Last night was the 7 week old chicks first night in the big coop, they all slept huddled on the floor and this morning they seemed to be having fun jumping from roost to roost. The early morning sun shines in through the large vent near the ceiling. They climbed to highest roost and seeing the specks of dust flittering through the air, they all started pecking at the air trying to catch them, they're so funny. I opened the door but nobody wants to come out, I guess it's more fun in there jumping around trying to catch dust 😆

Chicken and duck poo, aged a year, makes a great fertilizer for my garden.

I have even seen jars for sale at Costco, this is the season. With this rain, I am looking at some extra green beans to can. :fl I didn't have very much compost this year, and green beans do not need it, so that is a lot of the garden. I wanted a salad garden, most of it got frozen, fried or washed away, so the couple of survivors got to go to seed to have AZ hardy salad next year! I have a big compost pile now, tomatoes next year!

Winco has great prices too. I have also seen them on sale at the regular stores.
Winco's great because they're a real grocery, are owned by the employees, and have a great bulk food section. Their bulk items selection and pricing beats Sprouts any day! Maybe someday there'll be a Winco up here, but at least there are two in the North valley for me to go to once in a blue moon.

Would you eat a 1000 year old egg?

This isn't Arizona specific, but hardly qualified for "behaviors and egg laying" so here goes:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/mkt_breakingnews/archeologists-find-1000-year-old-intact-chicken-egg-from-byzantine-age-in-excavation-in-israel_3925470.html?utm_source=News&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=breaking-2021-08-03-1&mktids=9eeb49889ce773c9157d25c354613a1d&est=3wgzMrAfcjJiMgktRxOTIGRy+J8uTggMouEinFMzhdrNlZKTQKHJLKmHHY1drMP0uw==

The article has some interesting history about poultry usage in the era and location where the egg was found. And there'll be DNA analysis of some of the yolk that remained.

Interesting!!

I don't think so, as the average time for stuff now is that you need to eat even canned item's sooner than that?

Back
Top Bottom