Arizona Chickens

and you can almost always find a used setup on craigslist, for hundreds of dollars!
There's a guy on YT that uses pool noodles cut up for floating his plants - VERY cheap.

And I know a lady here in Chino Valley, Paula Ryan (I think), that has a hydroponic greenhouse. I haven't gone to see her setup yet. I'm not really into hydroponics myself unless you count rooting cuttings in pond scum (the key to easy rooting).

I used to have a coworker who had a huge tank with fish it it, and it was connected so that the fish poo fertilized his hydroponic vegetables. He had a whole building dedicated it. He said it saved him a lot of money and worked great, but--fish poo veggies?? Not too sure about that.

The eggs have been in the incubator for only one day, and it looks like there's someone at work who is interested in a few males. I told her I won't know what I have for a few months yet. Maybe I can actually rehome some boys! They have a big flock and could probably use a change in males. Fingers crossed she's still interested in a few months.

the fish poo fertilized his hydroponic vegetables. -fish poo veggies?? Not too sure about that.
It's called aquaponics. The water from the fish tank floods the plant roots, then drains etc. Where it'd get iffy (according to some) is quack a ponics, because of the types of bacteria that can grow in warm-blooded animal's systems
The eggs have been in the incubator for only one day, and it looks like there's someone at work who is interested in a few males. I told her I won't know what I have for a few months yet. Maybe I can actually rehome some boys! They have a big flock and could probably use a change in males. Fingers crossed she's still interested in a few months.
Hopefully that works out.

I used to have a coworker who had a huge tank with fish it it, and it was connected so that the fish poo fertilized his hydroponic vegetables. He had a whole building dedicated it. He said it saved him a lot of money and worked great, but--fish poo veggies?? Not too sure about that.

That's great to connect with someone who wants those males. GOOD LUCK on the incubating eggs! I have 11 in the incubator as well.

There are a lot of examples of the fish or even shrimp combined with hydroponics on YT - they call it aquaponics (I think). There was also a guy in my neighborhood in Mesa that converted his dilapidated in-ground pool to a whole ecosystem of chickens, fish, and plants called Garden Pool- he installed these systems worldwide and had permaculture gardens in his relatively small suburban lot along with pigs, duck, goats, chickens, rabbits and more maybe. I'm sure he still has a website even though he moved. He also started the seed library at Mesa, Tempe and other public libraries.

Back
Top Bottom