Arizona Chickens

Yesterday her head flopped in all directions and she couldn't hold it up.
Is it a possibility your chicken got into your stash..
1634359605746.png

By the way,,,,, was wondering if you still had a supply of 4th, of July festivity thingies,,,, to celebrate in the evenings???;)
So what its October,,,,, show off your patriotism in the evenings:old:thumbsup

Is it a possibility your chicken got into your stash..
View attachment 2867582

By the way,,,,, was wondering if you still had a supply of 4th, of July festivity thingies,,,, to celebrate in the evenings???;)
So what its October,,,,, show off your patriotism in the evenings:old:thumbsup
Now we know how you are spending your evening's up there. :gig

This thread has been quiet for the past few days. Outside it's not quiet, though. The coyotes are yipping and singing, and they sound like they're in the front yard. Predators are relentless. There's no getting rid of them. :(

No eggs for the past few days. I hope they finish molting soon.
Yes, I've noticed that the thread has been pretty quiet. I have seen some of the other's come in and give like's, but haven't said anything about how they or their flock's are doing these day's.

Yes, the predator's are relentless, and there is less food that is available to them this time of the year. Watch your flock's!

Owls will seek out rodents before they would take a large chicken.. Of course when noting else is available chickens will do.:hit
Ironically, or perhaps that is just why he was here, normally our birds are all safely tucked away, but I ran to a neighbor’s at five and got home later than I expected, and the “man door” to our coop was left open. 15/16 of my birds were roosting when I went to shut the door, and hearing me I then heard my missing hen start to squawk for me. Sure enough she had gotten on too of my 7’ high run. It was already dark with a high, almost full moon. I went in the garage and got a ladder and came around the back corner of our 12’x20’ run, and that great horned owl flew OFF THE ROOF OF THE RUN to that power line. It was stalking my chickens and was about ten feet from the hen I was collecting, but we didnt see because the owl was covered by my pecan boughs (from the tree). Thank goodness I went to shut things when I did and realized that Frankie was not roosted with the rest of the flock…AND that I got my coop door closed. 😱😱😱

Any AZ chicken people out there? I am looking for some advice on raising chicks in the desert. I'm in Mesa. Does it get too hot out here? I have four 20 day old chicks, 3 Buff Orps and 1 leghorn. Do we need to do anything special here
I almost lost one of my girls in the heat this year, it was 118. Luckily there is a vet that sees chickens in Mesa. I have since then added misters to the run I have, added tarps, and grass to help keep thier feet cool. If you can, add water to float some of thier food, they are cooled down with thier feet, so I had a kiddie pool and throw in some frozen fruit and it helps. For nights, I used a evaporator cooler to keep thier coop cool at nights, I'll probably get a window cooler before this summer comes back. For our winter, try to make sure their enclosure is protected from wind, they can warm themselves up really well, but if it's open, then it's harder. Our girls hatch day us this month, we love them.

Back
Top Bottom