Arizona Chickens

Do any of you freeze eggs in the summer to prepare for the slow down/stoppage in the winter? I eat four eggs & a half lb of sausage every morning for breakfast, the hubs has eggs on some weekends, and I use them in a couple recipes through the week. So no need to fry them, but my math says I need 35 or so eggs a week.

If you have frozen them, how did you do it, and how do they work out in recipes?
I don't freeze or preserve in any way, but in some of the facebook groups I have seen info about essentially brining them or something...you mix with water (and I think salt and a few other things) and preserve in giant mason jars. If you google or search here you might be able to find something on preserving raw eggs...

Yay! a boy!:jumpy
I know that most people dread hatching the boy's but I needed him. The Bielefelder can be sexed at hatch, and that is why I am getting out of the mixed flock stuff. I want to be able to tell right away who the boy's and girl's are. I will be breeding and hatching from these Bielefelder's in the future. So now there are 8 girl's (including the 5 that hatched back in November) for this boy. They were shipped from Illinois, so with combination of being shipped so far, and the time of year that it is, the hatch did ok I think. Maybe I'll get some more of them in the spring to add to them, or start another flock going.

Hi fellow AZers! I live in the Phoenix metro area (actually Glendale) and currently have a flock of 16 birds (black australorps, gold and black sex links, barred rocks, easter eggers, and speckled sussex). I am considering adding to my flock (yes! Seems ridiculous!) and I am wondering about heat hardiness for: wyandottes and brahmas specifically. (I am also considering marans, americaunas, welsummers, and cream legbars.) I have read about heat tolerance (or lack thereof) of each breed, but we all know we live in a special kind of hot here in Phoenix metro. Do any of you who live in the hotter areas of AZ have wyandottes or brahmas (or any of the other new breeds I mentioned)? How have they fared?

To share my experience, I had a flock of 4 EEs and they were great, summer seasoned, and I never had to do anything special in the summer. One year ago was my first time raising chicks (all born Dec and Jan), and the heat hit so hot and early, I worried about their acclimating so I put an outdoor evap facing into their coop so that they could get reprieve when they wanted, or at a minimum cool off and offgas over night (from all the panting). They rarely went into their coop during the day, although they spent a lot fhteir days under it. We wet the soil and did other things along those lines as well. Happy to report that I didn't lose a single bird, although I worried some. I will try to acclimate them a little more this year and hope this summer is less brutal. I live on a .8 acre, irrigated lot with lots of mature trees and shade.

Hope all are well and thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Hi fellow AZers! I live in the Phoenix metro area (actually Glendale) and currently have a flock of 16 birds (black australorps, gold and black sex links, barred rocks, easter eggers, and speckled sussex). I am considering adding to my flock (yes! Seems ridiculous!) and I am wondering about heat hardiness for: wyandottes and brahmas specifically. (I am also considering marans, americaunas, welsummers, and cream legbars.) I have read about heat tolerance (or lack thereof) of each breed, but we all know we live in a special kind of hot here in Phoenix metro. Do any of you who live in the hotter areas of AZ have wyandottes or brahmas (or any of the other new breeds I mentioned)? How have they fared?

To share my experience, I had a flock of 4 EEs and they were great, summer seasoned, and I never had to do anything special in the summer. One year ago was my first time raising chicks (all born Dec and Jan), and the heat hit so hot and early, I worried about their acclimating so I put an outdoor evap facing into their coop so that they could get reprieve when they wanted, or at a minimum cool off and offgas over night (from all the panting). They rarely went into their coop during the day, although they spent a lot fhteir days under it. We wet the soil and did other things along those lines as well. Happy to report that I didn't lose a single bird, although I worried some. I will try to acclimate them a little more this year and hope this summer is less brutal. I live on a .8 acre, irrigated lot with lots of mature trees and shade.

Hope all are well and thank you in advance for your thoughts!
Hi and welcome! I used to live in black canyon city, where it was only 105 when in phx it was 115, of course that was well after roost time when all the ice trays in the world don't help. Now I'm in the mayer area where the temp starts to drop before roost time, and I still use misters, a fan sometimes, but mainly ice cubes and ice bottles. I don't have the breeds you're concerned with, so hopefully someone else will check in.

Hi and welcome! I used to live in black canyon city, where it was only 105 when in phx it was 115, of course that was well after roost time when all the ice trays in the world don't help. Now I'm in the mayer area where the temp starts to drop before roost time, and I still use misters, a fan sometimes, but mainly ice cubes and ice bottles. I don't have the breeds you're concerned with, so hopefully someone else will check in.
Yeah, I have come to believe that cooling their coop at night is the biggest help. I believe...perhaps incorrectly...that a part of the build up that causes heat stroke is the chemical build up in their bodies caused by the constant panting. It seemed like having them sleep comfortably really decreased their stress during the day (which of course makes complete logical sense!)

Back
Top Bottom