Arizona Chickens

My artwork is not that great,,:old but I do try to convey the thought as best as possible.
Where I sketched out with BLUE,,, I think a 2 to 3 inch round tree limb (branch) would work well. The whole width of that plywood. A 2x4 would work also,,, but less natural atmosphere.. (use what is easiest for you to get) I have plenty of tree limbs around,, and they are free:thumbsup
Where your white chicken is roosting,, I suggest you can screw a plastic coffee can to the plywood. This would make chicken sit away from the wall. She would be further away,, and when lifted her head,,, would be out of pecking reach.
If you do go the branch route.. Fasten one on top of that vertical 2x4, for a good grip roost spot also.

Note; on branches,, leave the bark on,,,, and sand off any sharp spots (if any:idunno) with course sand paper.
My coop interior roosts are branches

View attachment 3214232
Rather than a can, I made do with what I had. Hopefully it'll do the trick.

Attachments

• angle lr.jpg
    angle lr.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 1
I'm still waiting for my first fresh eggs. :)

I noticed the article mentioning something about peeling fresh eggs vs store/carton eggs. What is that about? They mention steaming??
Peeling boiled fresh eggs is usually hard to do without mangling the egg.
Peeling a steamed fresh egg is way easier. I use older eggs (2-3 weeks old, usually unrefrigerated) to steam and that works best for me. You can also insta-pot pressure cook them fresher and peel fine (I don't have an insta-pot).

And as @igorsMistress has said unwashed (with the "bloom" still on the egg) undamaged eggs fresh from your flock can be fine on the counter at normal room temps without refrigeration. If you sell eggs there are different rules.

Most store bought eggs are about a month old before you buy them so they are washed, older eggs so they are easier to peel because they have dried out some.

Peeling boiled fresh eggs is usually hard to do without mangling the egg.
Peeling a steamed fresh egg is way easier. I use older eggs (2-3 weeks old, usually unrefrigerated) to steam and that works best for me. You can also insta-pot pressure cook them fresher and peel fine (I don't have an insta-pot).

And as @igorsMistress has said unwashed (with the "bloom" still on the egg) undamaged eggs fresh from your flock can be fine on the counter at normal room temps without refrigeration. If you sell eggs there are different rules.

Most store bought eggs are about a month old before you buy them so they are washed, older eggs so they are easier to peel because they have dried out some.
That’s my rule of thumb for using eggs to hard boil as well.

I can tell you all the rules for selling eggs are pretty basic. You have to register, for free, with the dept of agriculture and disclose the number of hens you keep. You’re limited to selling 750 eggs per year. They must be unwashed and refrigerated. The carton must say Nest Run and can’t be one reused from the grocery store. Also, you can’t claim they are free range or organic.

That’s my rule of thumb for using eggs to hard boil as well.

I can tell you all the rules for selling eggs are pretty basic. You have to register, for free, with the dept of agriculture and disclose the number of hens you keep. You’re limited to selling 750 eggs per year. They must be unwashed and refrigerated. The carton must say Nest Run and can’t be one reused from the grocery store. Also, you can’t claim they are free range or organic.
It's actually 750 DOZEN! Which is kind of crazy. Lol
Screenshot_20220808-142946.png
https://agriculture.az.gov/animals/animal-services-inspections/egg-inspections

How active should chickens be? My pullets seem to spend all day laying in the dirt in the shade. If I go out to visit them, they come out of that area, but otherwise, I'm not seeing them roaming about inside their run. Is it just the heat keeping them sedentary?

(All new to me, so no baseline to go by.)
Could be the heat, my flock does the same when it’s hot.

Back
Top Bottom