Arizona Chickens

Thanks, everyone, for your sympathies. I had the hardest time sleeping last night for thinking about my lovely gal. She's the one on my lap in my avatar.

Now when I let the girls out, I'll have to worry about hawks, but no way is the dog going to be out again with the chickens. The dog never showed aggression before towards the girls, and never chased them. (photo)

It may seem crazy, but now I am worried he might be as unpredictable toward our indoor cat. I feel like I can't trust him anymore.
I have an older dog, and I have never let him in the chicken's coop in the back yard. He has his own fenced in yard in the front of the house. The fence to his yard is electrified so he learned as a puppy not to get too close to it and not try to pee on it. Other loose dog's have tried to get to him when he was outside in it, but there would be a "Yipe" and the dog's would go elsewhere.

I won't elaborate or comment further on this but just want to WARN you - if you live in an area monopolized by one hospital system. I think they will have to work this out soon and my faith does not lie in the healthcare system.

Not sure how this is legal but - Got 1 day's notice that our BCBS insurance is good for nothing but emergency care (as of today) at the only hospital in Yavapai county, (owned by) Dignity Health. This affects a majority of public employees in our county halfway thru insurance plan year. BCBS and Dignity Health evidently aren't making enough money to fulfill their contractual obligations to policy holders without making us pay huge out-of pocket for anything other than emergency care at Dignity Health (Yav Regional Med Ctr).
yes, and they sent me a letter (bcbsaz--obamacare) saying they were successful in negotiating with the healthcare company so we are now able to use that network for the rest of 2023---BUT---even before their so called success, they warned us that we were only contracted thru 2023---so they've spun a flop as a success to try to confuse people!

yes, and they sent me a letter (bcbsaz--obamacare) saying they were successful in negotiating with the healthcare company so we are now able to use that network for the rest of 2023---BUT---even before their so called success, they warned us that we were only contracted thru 2023---so they've spun a flop as a success to try to confuse people!
I'm already on Medicare A & B, but that new's make's me want to be more allergic to hospital's then I already am. I just don't trust them. The rules and law's are always changing, and I'm not sure what color of underwear they will require that I wear next year, so to speak.

I won't elaborate or comment further on this but just want to WARN you - if you live in an area monopolized by one hospital system. I think they will have to work this out soon and my faith does not lie in the healthcare system.

Not sure how this is legal but - Got 1 day's notice that our BCBS insurance is good for nothing but emergency care (as of today) at the only hospital in Yavapai county, (owned by) Dignity Health. This affects a majority of public employees in our county halfway thru insurance plan year. BCBS and Dignity Health evidently aren't making enough money to fulfill their contractual obligations to policy holders without making us pay huge out-of pocket for anything other than emergency care at Dignity Health (Yav Regional Med Ctr).
You have got to be kidding. That’s awful! I hope you all get a new option soon.

I wonder if some of this is why my eye surgeon isn’t accepting BCBS now.

That's horrible. I don't see how that could be legal...just an awful thing to do to people. I also hope you get a better option soon.
Thanks, everyone, for your sympathies. I had the hardest time sleeping last night for thinking about my lovely gal. She's the one on my lap in my avatar.

Now when I let the girls out, I'll have to worry about hawks, but no way is the dog going to be out again with the chickens. The dog never showed aggression before towards the girls, and never chased them. (photo)

It may seem crazy, but now I am worried he might be as unpredictable toward our indoor cat. I feel like I can't trust him anymore.
How long have you had the dog? If I remember right you said he was a rescue? Rescue dogs always take more work and time to train then puppies...and some can't be trained out of predatory behaviors. Hope he turns out ok for your cats.

I'd be lost without my dogs to guard my chickens...but they were raised with them.

Last edited:
How long have you had the dog? If I remember right you said he was a rescue? Rescue dogs always take more work and time to train then puppies...and some can't be trained out of predatory behaviors. Hope he turns out ok for your cats.

I'd be lost without my dogs to guard my chickens...but they were raised with them.
Yes. He's a rescue. We've had him for 7 1/2 years. Until this incident, he hadn't shown any signs of aggression towards the chickens. We've only had the chickens since July 30.

I think he was rooting around in that area of the dirt for chicken feed (that had been there earlier) and she got too close. He's food aggressive and I think he lashed out when she came near.

We've tamed his food aggression with us (humans) but clearly he still has competitive issues with other animals. We can put his food in his dish and he won't touch it til he's given the "take it" command.

Yes. He's a rescue. We've had him for 7 1/2 years. Until this incident, he hadn't shown any signs of aggression towards the chickens. We've only had the chickens since July 30.

I think he was rooting around in that area of the dirt for chicken feed (that had been there earlier) and she got too close. He's food aggressive and I think he lashed out when she came near.

We've tamed his food aggression with us (humans) but clearly he still has competitive issues with other animals. We can put his food in his dish and he won't touch it til he's given the "take it" command.
He sounds like a good boy 🙂. That's hard introducing chickens to an older dog.
Hope this doesn't sound like a gruesome question...but did he eat any of your poor hen?

He sounds like a good boy 🙂. That's hard introducing chickens to an older dog.
Hope this doesn't sound like a gruesome question...but did he eat any of your poor hen?
No. Just bit (& shook?) her head & left her there. There was blood a few feet away in 2 directions. Haven't figured that out.
If our security cameras were better, we would have been able to better see what happened.

Back
Top Bottom