Arizona Chickens

Gorgeous day here today... and I took an awesome two hour nap! Got the lawn mowed. Got FOUR ameraucana eggs and 3 marans today. I'm hoping tofuranch and my wife can meet somewhere along I-17 as my wife will be driving north tomorrow.

No coop pics yet - Hubs doesn't want anyone to see it until it's finished with the nest boxes and painted, if I choose to do so
smile.png

Bummed that I still have molters, but looking in the coop today I noticed that the 5 month old Leghorn that I adopted from Hickman's started molting - so hopefully it's just a quick "before I start laying" thing and she starts laying soon! She's had about a month and a half to "adjust" and her stress level is much lower. Her clipped beak is even growing in, which I'm VERY glad for - I was nervous about her being able to eat well/defend herself etc.

I'm missing my dark layers very very much... I had to sell all my birds when I went to Africa but can't find any Wellies or Marans now. If anyone knows of any that are between say... 4 months and a year or so, let me know. I don't want to do chicks again for a looong time.

NoSkiveez, looks like 11 didn't make it. 3 pipped but couldn't make it out, and I had to be gone all day so I didn't know they were having problems. One was still alive so I pulled it out of the shell and wahsed off the membrane that had dried to it. I think I need even more humidity than what I'm getting. But that's still about 70% hatch rate I think. Not gonna do the math, already had a drink, (liquid pain pill?) so the brain is on standby.
smile.png

Bob's Henhouse :

NoSkiveez, looks like 11 didn't make it. 3 pipped but couldn't make it out, and I had to be gone all day so I didn't know they were having problems. One was still alive so I pulled it out of the shell and wahsed off the membrane that had dried to it. I think I need even more humidity than what I'm getting. But that's still about 70% hatch rate I think. Not gonna do the math, already had a drink, (liquid pain pill?) so the brain is on standby.
smile.png

That's a bummer but still sounds like a good hatch! I hope your feeling better soon. Being in pain is never pleasant.​

NoSkiveez, thanks again for the eggs. The babies are so cute. Can't wait to see what they grow up to be, assuming I can keep track of them! The one I broke out and cleaned off seems to be doing ok this morning. Haven't lost one so far.

Mahonri, thank you as well for the eggs. I'll try to remember to post pics as they grow, in case you want any back, the least I can do for your generousity.

Thanks for the welcomes!
I'm in Phoenix with 2 ameraucana and 2 barred rock chicks. Those are 2 of my favorite breeds although I've raised quite a variety of birds over the years, from quail and banties to turkeys and just about everything in between & then some, lol, used to breed cockatoos, african greys, keets & tiels and other parrots, mingled with a few toucans, and when I was a little kid, pigeons, among other critters.
My laying hens have always been my favorites, though.
big_smile.png

Hi again everyone. Our move is not going as fast as we would like but its getting there. My first two choices of homes for my girls fell through and I am awaiting a response from yet another potential home. IF THIS FALLS THROUGH is there anyone out there that would like to give my ladies a good home? Here is a list

2 Cinnamon Queens
1 Red Sex Link (has backward toe since hatch but no issues)
1 Mille Fleur D'uccle
1 Bantam Dark Brahma
1 LF Barred Cochin
1 LF White Cochin
1 LF Black Cochin
1 LF Buff Cochin (has chicken scoliosis from hatch but gets along just fine and lays)
1 Easter Egger
3 Buff Orpingtons (Kevin drinks funny but always has thus the reason we named her kevin)
1 male guinea fowl (You do not have to take him)

I would like them to all go together. They have never been sick. Currently starting to molt but still laying thus far. They would have to be picked up tomorrow.
I also have a partially finished coop that you could have with them. Its all there just needs to be finished up. Hardware cloth all the way around.

I am at 35th ave and Deer Valley Rd and I can't deliver it.

If any of you are interested please let me know. This stuff has to go immediately.

This is the best pic I could get of the coop considering everything is being moved around
downsized_1111001535.jpg

Quote:
i might be interested
ok im totaly interested... i guess when ya have a coop big enough for 70+ birds your always interested
smile.png
+ i love feather footed breeds

Back
Top Bottom