Arizona Chickens

Quote:
I also have a couple of hens trying their darnest to hatch some golf balls.

I wouldn't give them chicks now; it is just too hot. They wouldn't make it.

Rufus

I would love to be in the Seed Exchange. I have rented a garden plot a 20 x 20 at Agritopia and I have been raising amazing crops. This sounds like great fun!

I also have a Koi pond and I am also over run with plants...they are growing like weeds this Summer.

Pima Chickens
I will be in Oro Valley Saturday August 20th. Can I meet up with you then? Party is at 3pm, so I need to be back by then and I don't know Tucson AT ALL, but my hubby does. He grew up there.

Thanks Gallo for the super idea!

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep...it's a date! I live pretty far NW (basically between Marana and Oro Valley), so I'm sure we can figure something out that is close.
smile.png

Quote:
Yep...it's a date! I live pretty far NW (basically between Marana and Oro Valley), so I'm sure we can figure something out that is close.
smile.png

super! i'll try and remember to send you a PM that week
big_smile.png

Blue leg chickens.

So my daughter and I were watching an old Iron Chef America and the secret ingredient was blue legged chickens.

They originated in France and are not allowed out of the country by law....so I guy in Canada selectively bred his own strain but then during the avian flu epidemic in Canada a few years back was forced to kill his entire stock.

A few were transferred to CA before the mass destruction and now they can be purchased at great price in their dressed and ready to cook form. "The Kobe Beef of Chicken". Some say the strain is Salmonella free and has been eaten raw like Sashimi....ew.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else was breeding them?

But after that temporary obsession seems to be out of limits for now I came across the Cream Legbar and have a new wish list.

Cheers

Reed

Quote:
Gallo, I'd LOVE to get in on this. I don't have lots of seeds saved up, some older store bought, some a year old, some more, all the marigold seeds anyone could want, could throw in a started grape vine and probably a pineapple plant or two. I've had my best year ever with tomatoes this year. I bought Roma seedlings, and they are planted in a 'popup' greenhouse with one door left open, and they are loving the diffused light, super high humidity, and the heat isn't slowing them down at all. If I had known they were going to actually grow, since I've never had luck with them before, I would have put a cage or trellis in there for them. 2 plants have just about filled the 8X10 greenhouse, and are putting down roots everywhere they touch ground. Usually I have only had luck with volunteer cherry tomatoes popping up.

pdx2phx, as soon as we get moved into our new place I plan on putting in a pond. I had one when I was in town I hand dug 6 feet deep, 8 feet wide and 10 feet long, lined it with concrete. Had TONS of plants, water lillies, pickerel weed, water hyacinth, cat tails, etc. It was cool. So, anyway, I'd love to get some plants and fish from you if I may when the time comes. Barter, buy, trade, whatever.

jfishdr, I have 2 blue-legged chickens ... but they are not rare, they are EE's, i.e. mutts
lau.gif

And no, I would NOT eat any chicken raw ... eeeewwww
sickbyc.gif

How can any breed be "salmonella-free"?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom