Arizona Chickens

Yesterday in Gilbert it was pretty hot the girls had there shade, fan, frozen water bottles and the pen was sprayed every now and then no panting in my house, everyone isn't allowed to get stressed.

My Muscovy's duckling hatched out yesterday too... thos ducks are the most heat tolerant birds I've met. (duckling pic.'s coming soon!)
I am trying that today, frozen water. My gals were panting yesterday too. I am worried how they will survive at 115 degrees! I have a frozen milk jug of water I will place in front of their fan today
Kris.

I am trying that today, frozen water. My gals were panting yesterday too. I am worried how they will survive at 115 degrees! I have a frozen milk jug of water I will place in front of their fan today
Kris.
The frozen jugs of water work well fans also, spraying the pen helps too. I have a swamp cooler for the oven temps we get here but thats just when the girls look like they are in distress.

The frozen jugs of water work well fans also, spraying the pen helps too. I have a swamp cooler for the oven temps we get here but thats just when the girls look like they are in distress.
I never thought of spraying them, good idea. I am going to try to put a deep layer of sand under a mister. I heard that cools off the sand and cools off them when they sit on it. They lady posted it was 115 out and they were not even panting. I might try that. Hopefully my husband will finish the coop and mister before it gets too hot.
Kris

Bird Mart Sunday at the El Zaribah auditorium 522 N 40th St from 9 to 5 by the AZ Aviculture Society. $5 admission. It's mostly geared toward parrots etc but I know a person who will be selling black Dutch Bantam pullets and young roos. Maybe there will be other chicken friendly vendors too.

Quote: This is a good point, and whether using a dip or a shampoo, you need to make sure you very thoroughly rinse it off the bird after the appropriate time. Zodiac is a brand that is very potent; not one I would choose again as I did lose birds. A year's aging of the product, using much less than usual and thorough rinsing and I have not had a problem with it, but when the bottle was fresh I lost three birds. Cat products tend to be less strong than dog products.

oh no, so one of my basque roos(who i think are about 13-14 weeks now) decided last night to growl and charge at one of the twins last night. he has gotten increasingly worse in the aggressive department while the other basque roo just runs away without making a peep! but this fella, he was having a stare off with me last night, dragging his wing on the ground, then screaching at me, his neck feathers all puffed up. he bit my wrist, twice. i picked him up, got bit again, and held him like sonoran silkies showed me until he settled down, put him down and he turned around and screeched at me. i am thinking this roo is destined to be baked, soon. darn. he was way expensive too
he.gif
My Roo has started being naughty now too.clawed me good on the arm . Can you clip theyre nails like other animals?

azkat how was your fried chicken? i've just put them in thr crockpot and very tasty...
thanks for that link, i finally have a chance to check it out.

i'm sad my girls are getting so toasty already. we replaced their roof tarp with a much better one that blocks more sun and i spray down their area a lot, that seems to make them and the flies very happy
hmm.png
i will do the frozen water bottle thing soon, but at the moment my freezer is packed, lol.

i got my second tiny egg today from one of the christmas hatch alohas. its so little i have to assume that the smallest hen laid it, but i'm not sure with it being new and all. i'm so excited that i'm getting more than one egg a day tho from 10+ chickens!!

Back
Top Bottom