Arkansas folks speak up.........

I looked in most all the lists here an seen only a few folks from AR I know there must be more around .....I am in west central not to far from a place called Mena ........anyone else around???just so y'all will be able to put a face to the person
startedwithbeardFB1.jpg
I live 12 miles north of Mt. Ida.

Hey fellow Arkansasans. Ozark here. I have Welsummers, Black Copper Marans, Americauanas and coming this year Olive Eggers. What's everyone else breeding?

I have a question for my fellow arkansans....at what age do u consider chicks old enough to make it outside without a heat lamp? Mine are 3-4 weeks old and they would of course be separated from the flock in their own pen protected from the elements. Im just nervous

Five weeks pretty much anytime. I've hatched in January or February several times and haven't kept them under heat after five weeks. My brooder is in the coop and my grow-out pen does not have power, so no supplemental heat.

A few considerations. I raise mine in the coop and have a large brooder. It's only heated on one end, the other can get really cold, sometimes it has frost in the far end. They get used to playing in the cooler end. If yours are being raised in tropical conditions in your house and it's close to freezing outside you might want to wait a few days if it is pretty chilly outside.

My grow-out coop has great ventilation up high but has good breeze protection down low where they are. I think both ventilation and breeze protection can be important in cooler temperatures.

I've had chicks just over 5 weeks old raised in my brooder in the coop go through nights in the mid-20's.

Five weeks pretty much anytime. I've hatched in January or February several times and haven't kept them under heat after five weeks. My brooder is in the coop and my grow-out pen does not have power, so no supplemental heat.

A few considerations. I raise mine in the coop and have a large brooder. It's only heated on one end, the other can get really cold, sometimes it has frost in the far end. They get used to playing in the cooler end. If yours are being raised in tropical conditions in your house and it's close to freezing outside you might want to wait a few days if it is pretty chilly outside.

My grow-out coop has great ventilation up high but has good breeze protection down low where they are. I think both ventilation and breeze protection can be important in cooler temperatures.

I've had chicks just over 5 weeks old raised in my brooder in the coop go through nights in the mid-20's.
Thats what its calked lol a grow out coop. So for the next two weeks i should probably take the lamp away from the chicks to acclimate them to being colder. They are pretty well feathered, ive just watched my cousin lose chicks to cold way too often and these are mine, but kept on her property, and she says one more week and theyre going outside. If it is still coldish ill vring them to town with me until theyre old enough.

Thats what its calked lol a grow out coop. So for the next two weeks i should probably take the lamp away from the chicks to acclimate them to being colder. They are pretty well feathered, ive just watched my cousin lose chicks to cold way too often and these are mine, but kept on her property, and she says one more week and theyre going outside. If it is still coldish ill vring them to town with me until theyre old enough.
Our biggest..pic taken a week ago

Attachments

• IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 7
I have a question for my fellow arkansans....at what age do u consider chicks old enough to make it outside without a heat lamp? Mine are 3-4 weeks old and they would of course be separated from the flock in their own pen protected from the elements. Im just nervous
I always wait until 12 weeks, but I make sure they are inside a 6 foot covered pen. I do not let them free range outside the enclosure until 6 months old.

Back
Top Bottom