Arkansas folks speak up.........

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by wranglerFB, Mar 9, 2008.

1. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    Quote:Crud, I didn't check me email until this afternoon or I would have hit you up on that offer. [​IMG] We left after 7 this morning to go. (I might have seen ya and not realized it) Me and Zach circled around the birds a couple of times. Mostly rooster and chicks. There were two sets that we really looked at. One was the cage with dark red RIRs and one had black australorps. After closely looking at the australorps, it looked like thier combs were rotten. I couldn't tell what it was but they had black tips and the roo's looked like it would fall right off. I decided against them. The RIRs were the best looking birds out there IMO. They had several hens and all but one had tail feathers. I checked two of them out. The one without tail feathers was bright eyed, easy to handle, clean legs, and I didn't see any mites or bugs under her wings or vent. The only thing was she had a bald butt. The one hen that did have tail feathers was bigger than the others and had blood on her beak from pecking the other birds. She was hard to hold. I asked the lady about them and she said they were hatched last August and the big hen was very aggressive. The big hen had plucked all the tail feathers out of the others. I looked at all the birds in the cage as a whole and they all looked healthy (they were very alert), just some bald butts. I got one of the bald butts, I don't need an aggressive, feather plucking hen. We checked her over again before we bought her. She had the brightest comb in the bunch. She's in our quaretine coop now. Zach is just tickled. I don't like having her by herself, but Zach has been talking to her and interacting with her and she can see the other birds across the yard. Oh, and Zoii IS NOT HAPPY. [​IMG]

I got there late this morning and I saw ya'll first thing , I said hey to you and called you by name but you just kind of dissed me ,lol , I was wearing a cowboy hat you may not have recognized me . But I figured if you needed any help you would have called me ,I sent you my cell #. Glad you found a replacement though , ya'll need to get out where you can really have some birds.Well , next time you get down our way call me and I'll show you the safe places to eat at the flea market .haha

Im sorry! I remember someone saying something to me I just didn't realize who it was. I didn't read my email till yesterday afternoon. We do really need to get out! I would love to live out somewhere where I could have a much bigger flock. I stayed away from the market food! [​IMG]

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I caught a big ol possum in my live trap last night. Used a turkey egg for bait. He sure is mad.

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I have a skunk I need to get. Good catch on the possum.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This might help you figure out a bait for skunks. I've never caught one and really don't want to unless one becomes a problem. I wired my live trap to a sheet of plywood to give it stability, then built a box that fits over it with the only opening the entrance to the trap. This might allow you to approach the trap and even deal with the skunk without being sprayed, but I guarantee you your heart is beating fast when you know you have something in there and you have to look to see if it is a skunk, raccoon, possum or maybe something else. If you are specifically targeting a skunk, you might want to set the trap out in the open where you can dispatch it with a .22 from a safer distance. And I recommend to aim for the head. It is hard to find a body under all that fur. A shotgun would likely destroy your trap.

http://www.havahart.com/advice/critter-library/skunk-control/skunk-baits

Turkey egg. Interesting. I've caught possum and raccoon with my set up using peanut butter rolled up in a small piece of paper towel, placed back behind the trigger. I know that rats and mice can eat the peanut butter and not get caught, but it has worked for me. Whatever works.

5. FarmGirl01

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Quote:Crud, I didn't check me email until this afternoon or I would have hit you up on that offer. [​IMG] We left after 7 this morning to go. (I might have seen ya and not realized it) Me and Zach circled around the birds a couple of times. Mostly rooster and chicks. There were two sets that we really looked at. One was the cage with dark red RIRs and one had black australorps. After closely looking at the australorps, it looked like thier combs were rotten. I couldn't tell what it was but they had black tips and the roo's looked like it would fall right off. I decided against them. The RIRs were the best looking birds out there IMO. They had several hens and all but one had tail feathers. I checked two of them out. The one without tail feathers was bright eyed, easy to handle, clean legs, and I didn't see any mites or bugs under her wings or vent. The only thing was she had a bald butt. The one hen that did have tail feathers was bigger than the others and had blood on her beak from pecking the other birds. She was hard to hold. I asked the lady about them and she said they were hatched last August and the big hen was very aggressive. The big hen had plucked all the tail feathers out of the others. I looked at all the birds in the cage as a whole and they all looked healthy (they were very alert), just some bald butts. I got one of the bald butts, I don't need an aggressive, feather plucking hen. We checked her over again before we bought her. She had the brightest comb in the bunch. She's in our quaretine coop now. Zach is just tickled. I don't like having her by herself, but Zach has been talking to her and interacting with her and she can see the other birds across the yard. Oh, and Zoii IS NOT HAPPY. [​IMG]

I got there late this morning and I saw ya'll first thing , I said hey to you and called you by name but you just kind of dissed me ,lol , I was wearing a cowboy hat you may not have recognized me . But I figured if you needed any help you would have called me ,I sent you my cell #. Glad you found a replacement though , ya'll need to get out where you can really have some birds.Well , next time you get down our way call me and I'll show you the safe places to eat at the flea market .haha

I think I would have dissed you to. Anyone wearing a cowboy hat in the middle of Arkansas. Ha!

6. FarmGirl01

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Quote:Thanks. I will give it a try.

7. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    There's a pip in the bator - the bator - the bator
    there's a pip in the bator on a big fat EE egg.

Oh crap, the brooder's full of 4 weekers!

I have two 2 EE/Buff Orp chicklettes and 2 black australorps up for sale if anyone's interested [​IMG] BA's are 3 weeks and the EE/BO are 4 weeks.

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:Good for you! I scared a coon out of the garage the other morning as I was getting ready to leave for the show. I'm setting the trap for him tonight.

9. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    Quote:Always trap a skunk in a disposable trap!

[​IMG]

10. FarmGirl01

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Looks like we're going to have a varmit trapping party tonight.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by