1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Arkansas folks speak up.........

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by wranglerFB, Mar 9, 2008.

1. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    ha ha Julie, yes I did. You must have been talking to Jim!

Here I am when I realized what happened. [​IMG] and then [​IMG]

2. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG] Uh. what are you talking about?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Ya'll got to ask jen what she did!

3. HallFamilyFarm

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Am sooo tired. Almost got the coop done. Took it anyway on trailer to Pine Bluff. Left it there tonight. Brenae got Buck cooped in. He is the first Buckeye in the row. Met one judge (Jones). Real nice guy. Ann is really sweet. A few had already cooped in. Some nice sale birds alraedy there.

Got home about 10:30 and checked on the new chicks. NO WATER! Seems my new automatic watering system has just one design flaw.... THE FAUCET MUST BE TURNED ON! Note to self, scalp all children under age 12! Fixed water. Placed fenseing around duck coop frame. Moved ALL Buff ducks to duck coop. Watered ducks. Wife said I stunck! Now I smell a little better and feel alot better Headed to bed. See everyong at Pine Bluff i the morning.

Gate opens at 8:00 AM!

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Jim's daughter got BB Buckeye with Buck and I got BB Japanese Bantam with a BTW Hen. Julie's little hen didn't fair so well this time, but I think she had a lot more competition than we did. I think modern game bantams was one of the largest classes. Its interesting the perspective you come away from the show with. I didn't know my cockerel's eyes were too light, never thought to check them. Darn I had high hopes for him. White birds look real nice till you look really close and see all the yellow that just won't come out with a bath. Birds that sit in broken egg on the way to the show are extremely hard to get cleaned up.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  5. HallFamilyFarm

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Quote:Jim Crain, one of the judges, said he liked Jen's hen's tail. Said it looked good.

If you really want to learn more about poultry shows, volunteer as a clerk! It is soo much fun!

6. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Well, it was sort of red letter day for us, but I learned a whole lot and got some good contacts. The judge said that he would not use either of my MGB hens to breed with. It's funny, since one of them took Reserve of Variety at the other show. At this show there was a whole row of Birchen Moderns that looked way better than mine, even to the untrained eye.

Congratulations to Jen and Brenae on their wins!

7. HallFamilyFarm

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Quote:Which judge said that? Jim Crain is a master exhibitor in MGB. Would at least consider his advice. Of course you can impove with a quality male.

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:I think it was the second one (long hair). You're the one who told me that. [​IMG] I know you had a lot of information going through your head Saturday.

9. cbbantams

cbbantams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    South
    In the first show with Jim Crain judging we won champion and reserve champion Old English Bantam.In the second show we got reserve Old English Bantam behind a BB Red that didnt place in the first show,but then went on to win reserve champion bantam in the second show.You never know how two different judges are going to judge the same birds,just part of showing chickens I guess.

10. HallFamilyFarm

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Quote:I was clerking for Jim. He REALLY liked that BB Red! But, in the end, went back to your bird. I also clerked RCCL, AOCCL and FL with Steve. It is amazing how close these two judges were to each other.

A RIR Bantam lost out for one reason....she was preoccupied with personal business. Jim waited a few minutes, appologised to the little lady, and gave BB/RB to another. A few minutes later I asked him if he wanted her egg. He smiled, thought for a minute and said no, she can keep it. He was so patient, just could not wait until she layed the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by