Arkansas folks speak up.........

Gorgeous girl. How big are they?

I still want some game hens since I've had so much luck with them in the past. I'm in a quandary though about the man selling the pullets. I know he is raising the chickens for fighting which I abhor. Can I justify buying the pullets because I know none of their offspring would ever be raised for fighting but can you really justify something like this. Another positive is he is sure about them being pullets. Keeping only a few pullets to hatch out more roosters. He will not sell roosters. Of course I have no proof he fights his birds or sells them to be fighting birds, but he has at least a hundred roosters in their own little individual cages and maybe a dozen hens free ranging. Fighting chickens (or dogs) are against the law here but I've heard that it is legal in the next state over (unless) the laws have change.

Well I'm sure that's exactly what he is doing especially if they fight them in the next state. He's likely asking a pretty penny for them too which is why he won't sell them as backyard birds. I know nothing about game birds, but I agree with other poster. The genes will be there. I think I would have to let the local sheriff or animal control know what you saw so they can keep an eye on him. Especially if the laws did change in the next state. It's a cruel unnecessary sport.
They are large fowl of average size. That female was probably about 5lbs.

We often see roosters penned like that and everyone knows. I don't think raising them is against the law.

My game chickens so many years ago were easy chickens to raise. There were 3 gorgeous roosters but the old scraggly looking one was king. He would chase the other roosters every time one would mount a female. The 2 young ones didn't have any long tail feathers because the king kept them pluck of their pretty feathers. They didn't fight because the young ones ran but my hens fought all the time. The king spent all his time breaking up the girls. They were never mean to me but one old hen would steal the other hens chicks and if they wouldn't go with her she would peck them to death. Their mamas tried to fight her off but she was crazed. I gave her,all 20+ chicks, and the old rooster to my neighbors how couldn't find any chickens would survive in our wilderness. They settled in nicely but after the chicks grew up both of them ended up as dumplings. I've about decided to just forget about the game dream and wait until next spring for a new batch of chicks.

We often see roosters penned like that and everyone knows. I don't think raising them is against the law.

My game chickens so many years ago were easy chickens to raise. There were 3 gorgeous roosters but the old scraggly looking one was king. He would chase the other roosters every time one would mount a female. The 2 young ones didn't have any long tail feathers because the king kept them pluck of their pretty feathers. They didn't fight because the young ones ran but my hens fought all the time. The king spent all his time breaking up the girls. They were never mean to me but one old hen would steal the other hens chicks and if they wouldn't go with her she would peck them to death. Their mamas tried to fight her off but she was crazed. I gave her,all 20+ chicks, and the old rooster to my neighbors how couldn't find any chickens would survive in our wilderness. They settled in nicely but after the chicks grew up both of them ended up as dumplings. I've about decided to just forget about the game dream and wait until next spring for a new batch of chicks.

If you want protective hens & roosters that will go broody and raise theirs or anyone else's broods try Sumatras. They are very popular in AR because Dr. Bramwell at the UofA Fayetteville breeds them. You should be able to pick up a pair or trio fairly easily. They aren't the world's best layers, but both roosters and hens will protect the chicks.

If you want protective hens & roosters that will go broody and raise theirs or anyone else's broods try Sumatras. They are very popular in AR because Dr. Bramwell at the UofA Fayetteville breeds them. You should be able to pick up a pair or trio fairly easily. They aren't the world's best layers, but both roosters and hens will protect the chicks.
goodpost.gif
I agree. I also think Phoenix are a good breed for free ranging and if you want broodies, they are wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom