Arkansas folks speak up.........

My almost 14 week old Black Laced Gold Wyandotte Rooster. He is gorgeous, this pic doesn't do him justice with all of his colors. He has green on his tail feathers too. Is he officially a rooster or still considered a cockerel? :) We're needing to re-home as we only want to deal with Laying Hens at this point. I'm in NWA if anyone is interested or know of anyone looking. Thank you!

Pretty boy. I am in cockerel overload myself. After out fair this month I will be selling off/rehoming some. My problem is decideing who stays and who goes. I like to keep them around for pasture candy, they keep the girls in line and I just like hearing them crow.

These guys are 3 months old and I have two more that are 6 weeks old. Fun with hatching!
idunno.gif

I have several Ameraucana hens that I am putting up for sale if anyone is interested. Looking for homes with a large yard to free range in, that's what they are used to, not small pens. They were a year old this spring. I think they would do best all together, I have about five, maybe six. Don't wish to send any off by themselves though. I live in the NW AR area.

Just don't be surprised if they don't sing the egg song when they lay. Some do, some don't. I've even had some sing it as they are getting on the nests. Silly chickens! But yes, there is a huge thrill in getting that first small egg. I have four at 23 weeks that just started.

I have some that make a lot of noise before, some make it right after and some are realatively silent.

At what age have you all experienced your girls begining to lay? I have had different experiences with different breeds. Earliest were 3 and 1/2 months old and I think latest were almost 6 months old. I have my young Cochins and I noticed the banty is getting a bit red in the face and the LF girl is kind of flushing more. They are 3 months plus so who knows. The boys have decided they are old enough to try to mate so maybe they know something I don't.

The youngest I've ever had was 16 weeks. The oldest I've had pullets start laying was 9 months. The offspring of the ones laying at 9 months were generally laying by 5 months.

My first flock (game hens) were laying when I got them and I never really cared when they started laying. Being super broody they increased quickly. I probably had 80+ chickens at one time. Keeping 3 roosters, most of my chickens hatched out pullets. I did butcher a few boys for broth, dumplings. Not much meat. I got all the eggs I could eat and give away in the winter but in the summer it was hard to get eggs because they were so broody, hatching out 2 or 3 clutches per summer. Then and now 20 years later my first reason for getting the chickens was tick patrol. Now I do want more pullets though because I have a houseful of males and they like their eggs. I hope within the month to be frying up some of my girls eggs. With only 5 pullets (for sure) I need more but more than that I want to build up a good dual purpose chicken to keep us supplied in meat and eggs.

Back
Top Bottom