Arkansas folks speak up.........

Our layer feed has 17% and the Gamebird has 22% It also has all the other things that chickens would need with the calcium exception. It also costs more. You could feed it with just Oyster shell free choice on the side and be fine. I don't exclusively fee the crumbles because I find there is more waste with the crumbles as they seem to prefer to scratch their feed out of the feeder and eat it off the floor of the coop.
idunno.gif
We also bake and re-feed our egg shells to help with the calcium. We also give veggies and other scraps and they get several hours a day of free range time so they are eating seeds, grass, bugs - whatever. Most people don't realize that chickens are really an omnivore - they eat plant matter and "meat" in the form of bugs, frogs, mice, snakes, whatever they find. Tiny little dinosaurs with feathers! They do need their protein.

I started out feeding an all-flock feed that was higher protein and gave them oyster shell on the side. I then went to a custom mix of whole grains mixed with all-flock, catfish feed, and alfalfa pellets. (Oyster shell and grit on the side again.) They also had free range time and if they didn't I would always throw in the grass clippings from the lawn mower and bales of good quality hay to keep them occupied and the coops/runs smelling good. In the fall, they got lots of leaves. This allowed them to satisfy the need to scratch and catch any bugs, etc. that are in the organic matter. Best of all, free mulch. If my place had any rocks on it naturally I wouldn't have had to give grit, but the only rocks were those I bought and brought in.

Again, that is just my experience. I always had chicks and grow-outs and guineas, ducks, etc. so it was just easier to feed one feed that satisfied all the flocks without having to remember this one gets this or having to change.

I feed a 22% protein feed to all my flicok. The minimum on calcium is the same in this feed and the layer and the chick feed I was feeding previously. The maximum is a little higher than in the chick feed I was feeding. I talked with folks that say the max isn't high enough to harm the chicks, I've already raised one group on it and doesn't seem to have any adverse affect on them.

I do feed eggshells back to them and some oyster shells occasionally.

I started out feeding an all-flock feed that was higher protein and gave them oyster shell on the side. I then went to a custom mix of whole grains mixed with all-flock, catfish feed, and alfalfa pellets. (Oyster shell and grit on the side again.) They also had free range time and if they didn't I would always throw in the grass clippings from the lawn mower and bales of good quality hay to keep them occupied and the coops/runs smelling good. In the fall, they got lots of leaves. This allowed them to satisfy the need to scratch and catch any bugs, etc. that are in the organic matter. Best of all, free mulch. If my place had any rocks on it naturally I wouldn't have had to give grit, but the only rocks were those I bought and brought in.

Again, that is just my experience. I always had chicks and grow-outs and guineas, ducks, etc. so it was just easier to feed one feed that satisfied all the flocks without having to remember this one gets this or having to change.

goodpost.gif

I feed a 22% protein feed to all my flicok. The minimum on calcium is the same in this feed and the layer and the chick feed I was feeding previously. The maximum is a little higher than in the chick feed I was feeding. I talked with folks that say the max isn't high enough to harm the chicks, I've already raised one group on it and doesn't seem to have any adverse affect on them.

goodpost.gif

Kinda like raising kids, everyone does it a little different, however it works for them and they stay healthy. :)

@caj1985
Thank you for the info! Our girls get to free range daily, more on the weekends than during the week. I'm seeing a lot of ppl stay with all flock or whatever has the higher protein & just add in the Oyster shells.

@draye Thank you, I think I will stick with the higher protein feed for now also & add the Oyster shell & eggshells once they start laying. I've seen quite a few ppl that do the fermented feed, not sure what that entails, so think I will check it out and see if it's something I want to do. haha Thanks again!

@Puddin Fluff haha Yes, it's absolutely like raising kids, just kids with Feathers! :) I've done ok so far since starting out not knowing a darn thing, but still so much I don't know and very thankful for this Forum & everyone that's willing to jump in & give me tips! Very much appreciated!

Kcarp03,
Fermented feed is great and very easy. If you are raising chicks or ducks, they LOVE it. Simple method is put some feed in a bucket, make it soupy and add any apple cider vinegar that has the "mother" in it. Heinz has it and the original is Braggs apple cider. You stir it daily for a few days until you see it bubbly and form a "scum" on top. Use what you need for that feeding, add more water and feed. Let it work. It is kind of like keeping sourdough starter going on if you have ever used or seen it.

Gotcha, thank you for all the info!! I've also read if you're used to giving them treats & table scraps that it will cut down on the protein they're getting because the Layer feed only has 16% protein. I guess some people just give regular feed with higher protein & add the Oyster shell for calcium? We do give them treats & scraps, so trying to decide my game plan. They're about 15 weeks, so I'm thinking I have several weeks to decide for sure. Also wondering about the different proteins, the plant protein vs animal as I've been reading that Chickens need animal protein. Sounds like the game bird flight developer crumbles you are adding, maybe has more protein? I'm going to check out what my local CoOp carries as opposed to Tractor Supply,etc.

Good luck finding animal protein in the feeds around here. The only ones that do have it are the small 5lb or less bags of MannaPro poultry conditioner feeds that cost an arm and a leg. I've found fish based dry dog food to be much cheaper option when I need animal protein and then they only get a little bit as a treat. Animal protein feed really isn't necessary unless you are going to try to hatch chicks. You do need a higher than 16% protein if you want some success hatching on your own. If you have a small flock and just want to give them some variety, just give them the meat leftovers from your table once in awhile. Any meat, even chicken, they will love. If you fish, fish scraps left after cleaning (boil it if you want) they go crazy for. Of course, any meats you give them, don't leave the bones or carcass out there after a day in this heat. Don't want them eating the nasty bacteria vultures are used to.

Good luck finding animal protein in the feeds around here. The only ones that do have it are the small 5lb or less bags of MannaPro poultry conditioner feeds that cost an arm and a leg. I've found fish based dry dog food to be much cheaper option when I need animal protein and then they only get a little bit as a treat. Animal protein feed really isn't necessary unless you are going to try to hatch chicks. You do need a higher than 16% protein if you want some success hatching on your own. If you have a small flock and just want to give them some variety, just give them the meat leftovers from your table once in awhile. Any meat, even chicken, they will love. If you fish, fish scraps left after cleaning (boil it if you want) they go crazy for. Of course, any meats you give them, don't leave the bones or carcass out there after a day in this heat. Don't want them eating the nasty bacteria vultures are used to.

Game chicken feed or feed produced at local mills normally has animal byproducts and fat here, so you might check. Locally milled feed is also considerably cheaper than name brand feeds. Ours will even custom mill small batches (300 lbs. or so) to your specifications for protein, calcium, whole grains, etc.

Hey guys and gals! Long time since I've checked back here... I'm curious about a few things so OF COURSE I run here for help. ;)

The 4H pullet chain! We have a handful of birdies going to show this week and we've never entered so I am just super curious as to what exactly is being judged! Obviously the bird, lol, but what are they looking at? They're not fancy schmancy breeds, but Hyline Browns (red sex links, right?) so is a SOP being compared? Do they even have a SOP for these hybrids?! Lots of newbie curiosity. Guess I just want to look at the birds having a better idea of what they're looking for. :) I know we have some 4H pros in here!

Game chicken feed or feed produced at local mills normally has animal byproducts and fat here, so you might check. Locally milled feed is also considerably cheaper than name brand feeds. Ours will even custom mill small batches (300 lbs. or so) to your specifications for protein, calcium, whole grains, etc.
@caj1985
Thank you, I will check on that!

@MrsBachbach
We won't be hatching our own, laying hens only so hopefully 16% is ok. And I will also feed meat scraps also, I had 12 originally, now have 10 hens, altho this morning I heard one of them sound like they were trying to Crow. Not 100% bc it was kind of garbled, haha It was either one of the Black Sexlinks or Black Australorp, they were in the coop, so couldn't really tell which one at that moment. We had 2 other's that showed signs of being cockerels from a super early age(GLW's, but don't have them now), & the 10 I have left are now 16 weeks old.

Hey guys and gals! Long time since I've checked back here... I'm curious about a few things so OF COURSE I run here for help.
wink.png

The 4H pullet chain! We have a handful of birdies going to show this week and we've never entered so I am just super curious as to what exactly is being judged! Obviously the bird, lol, but what are they looking at? They're not fancy schmancy breeds, but Hyline Browns (red sex links, right?) so is a SOP being compared? Do they even have a SOP for these hybrids?! Lots of newbie curiosity. Guess I just want to look at the birds having a better idea of what they're looking for.
smile.png
I know we have some 4H pros in here!

Can't help you with red sex links, but I would imagine that yes, the SOP is what is judged, no obvious disqualifications, and the birds condition. A bath sure helps and no lice!

Here is a sight with some tips:

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2014/08/PoultryShow.html

Planning on showing any Ameraucanas? How did they turn out?

Back
Top Bottom