Arkansas folks speak up.........

hey folks, feb 17th in vinita okla. will be a poultry auction at the fairgrounds. this will be the second sale here, first was very well attended with plenty of buyers and sellers. p.m. if you need more info.

Good morning Arkansas!
Cold here this morning.
Well, my hatch was taken out of the hatcher and put into the brooder yesterday. 21 hatched out of 30,19 are left. 2 hatched and didn't make it, 8 non-fertile eggs, and 1 died in shell before hatch.
These are the eggs from UA the "B" line blue eggs. Will ry to get pictures posted this week-end.

19 out of 22 that started to develop isn't that bad at all. Congratulations!

If memory serves me right, these are the B/B/S ones. It will be interesting to see what they look like.

Good morning Arkansas!
Cold here this morning.
Well, my hatch was taken out of the hatcher and put into the brooder yesterday. 21 hatched out of 30,19 are left. 2 hatched and didn't make it, 8 non-fertile eggs, and 1 died in shell before hatch.
These are the eggs from UA the "B" line blue eggs. Will ry to get pictures posted this week-end.

I've got 11 of the UA chicks. These are the WF black Spanish bantams. They have huge feet.
Almost half didn't develop and only 2 dead in shell.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm in central Arkansas just outside of Cabot and about 35 miles North of Little Rock. I presently have Troulouse and Brown Chinese geese. I have 20 eggs in the incubator that will hatch in about two weeks. I ordered baby chicks from McMurray hatchery in Iowa to be delivered the week of April 2, 2012. They are the Black Star and are suppose to be wonderful layers with very large brown eggs.. My daughter and I are in the process of building an eight by ten coop. I am a sixty year old widow so my daughter comes over and together we cobble together what ever I need. I plan on taking pictures to put on the site as we build. My coop will include a 25' X 50' chicken pen that I will cover with netting. I have to wait and see what kind of critters may show up before I let any of my chickens free range. Right now my geese are in my yard but we plan on putting them in a 25' X 50' pen as well and then let them out in the day time and watch them to see what kinds of animals show up to try and catch them. I haven't had chickens since I was a girl on a farm in Iowa so I am really looking forward to the fresh eggs and fresh fried chicken once I get going. We are currently building the goose pen and have all the fence posts in and the 6" trenches dug for the wire to be buried in the ground. We also hand dug an eight foot by ten foot by 24" deep pond which we plan on putting a pond liner in for the geese. Up until now they have been using a kiddy pool. I plant a large garden every year and can and freeze what I produce. I currently have a Jersey yearling heifer and three yearling short horn steers. In addition we have two golden retrevers, a miniture dachshund and a simese cat. I am a fairly new member.

WELCOME Little Dear
welcome-byc.gif
Sounds like you have an amazing set up already!

Hi all, I'm in central Arkansas just outside of Cabot and about 35 miles North of Little Rock. I presently have Troulouse and Brown Chinese geese. I have 20 eggs in the incubator that will hatch in about two weeks. I ordered baby chicks from McMurray hatchery in Iowa to be delivered the week of April 2, 2012. They are the Black Star and are suppose to be wonderful layers with very large brown eggs.. My daughter and I are in the process of building an eight by ten coop. I am a sixty year old widow so my daughter comes over and together we cobble together what ever I need. I plan on taking pictures to put on the site as we build. My coop will include a 25' X 50' chicken pen that I will cover with netting. I have to wait and see what kind of critters may show up before I let any of my chickens free range. Right now my geese are in my yard but we plan on putting them in a 25' X 50' pen as well and then let them out in the day time and watch them to see what kinds of animals show up to try and catch them. I haven't had chickens since I was a girl on a farm in Iowa so I am really looking forward to the fresh eggs and fresh fried chicken once I get going. We are currently building the goose pen and have all the fence posts in and the 6" trenches dug for the wire to be buried in the ground. We also hand dug an eight foot by ten foot by 24" deep pond which we plan on putting a pond liner in for the geese. Up until now they have been using a kiddy pool. I plant a large garden every year and can and freeze what I produce. I currently have a Jersey yearling heifer and three yearling short horn steers. In addition we have two golden retrevers, a miniture dachshund and a simese cat. I am a fairly new member.

Welcome to BYC.

Not far from you, Sardis area.

Hey I wanted to pass on a new thread for a POULTRY AND SMALL ANIMAL SWAP MEET in NW Arkansas. This is what my wife and I have been working toward. I couldn't find a local swap meet to get fresh blood in our small flock, so we started our own with the help of our local feed store. Here's the thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/628075/poultry-and-small-animal-swap-in-garfield-ar-on-march-3rd

I hope this is a success so that we can keep this going month after month from spring thru fall.

Back
Top Bottom