Arkansas folks speak up.........

I'm interested in getting started with ducks (in addition to my chickens). Anyone else have ducks? Anything I should consider beforehand? Should we have a kiddie pool for them? How often will it need to be changed, if so?

I'm interested in getting started with ducks (in addition to my chickens). Anyone else have ducks? Anything I should consider beforehand? Should we have a kiddie pool for them? How often will it need to be changed, if so?

What are you wanting from your ducks? Eggs? Meat? yard art?

Muscovy Ducks are quiet and good layers. Excellent for meat.
Buff Ducks are a dual purpose, meat and eggs.

Check our http://www.metzerfarms.com and read his Comparison chart. Many of his breeds are average or above average in show quality compared by several judges.

Mainly yard ornaments, like my chickens, but we would eat the eggs also. My main concern is if they'll need access to water and that water needing to be changed frequently. (Our closest pond isn't close to the coop.)

If you let them free range, they will find the pond!! If you restrict them to a kiddie pool you will be stunned at how quickly it becomes very messy. Duck eggs are all but indistinguishable from chicken eggs as far as taste, but the shell is harder to crack and is sort of translucent looking. They are as much fun to watch as chickens are.

Mainly yard ornaments, like my chickens, but we would eat the eggs also. My main concern is if they'll need access to water and that water needing to be changed frequently. (Our closest pond isn't close to the coop.)

Anyone going to the auction house in Lonoke Saturday? Livestock and poultry sale 11 a.m. til ?

D.gif

Save A Chicken! – Eat A Cow!
Atwoods Farm & Ranch is having their Grand Opening! The Drew County 4-H Poultry Club has been invited to hold the Hamburger Fundraiser as part of the Grand Opening Celebration! Hamburgers will be available on Saturday, March 24, 2012 from 10:00 Am to 2:00 PM.
Please plan your lunch with the Drew County 4H Poultry Club and SUPERCHICKEN!
202 US Hwy 425 South, Monticello, Arkansas
For more information contact Club Leader, Jim Hall @ 870/723-3724.

Will they find the pond even if it's acres away? Will they come back to roost at night or should we build a little duck house on the pond? I'm looking forward to getting some. Do they need anything different in their brooder as ducklings? I think I read that they make a mess of the water more than chicks. :)
If you let them free range, they will find the pond!! If you restrict them to a kiddie pool you will be stunned at how quickly it becomes very messy. Duck eggs are all but indistinguishable from chicken eggs as far as taste, but the shell is harder to crack and is sort of translucent looking. They are as much fun to watch as chickens are.

Back
Top Bottom