Art School

See, this is what I had to work with.
78F69CFC-5425-4D3F-A39C-11F28823EE2C.jpeg

Drawn by Jacky, not I. Also I don’t like copying artwork.

View attachment 2123832
ahh... a nice looking back
View attachment 2123833
AHHHH WHAT IS THIS ABOMINATION?
View attachment 2123831
full bird...
Does anyone have any advice that can make the head equal to the back?
Also I drew this...
View attachment 2123836
That's HARDLY an abomination! It's actually VERY good! The only thing "difference" I see between the front and the back is the "depth" in the back end. The body and legs have subtle shadings, even in what looks like solid areas. The head details look solid, with no shading at all. Compare the beak and comb to the hatched feet and you can see the difference.
Personally, I think the color print looks great, but if you really think it needs work, that's where I would concentrate.

Uhh, I googled welsummer, found this pic that's kinda close.
welsummer-SarahIvy-flickr.jpg

Obviously I traced over here, but it's mostly to show you the structures I'd try to emulate if I was drawing it. The chest line continues to curve up, and the Jaw is set in front of it.

welsummer.jpg

Yours honestly looks great, I don't think it needs to be changed. With out shading I think you're about as close as you can get.

That's HARDLY an abomination! It's actually VERY good! The only thing "difference" I see between the front and the back is the "depth" in the back end. The body and legs have subtle shadings, even in what looks like solid areas. The head details look solid, with no shading at all. Compare the beak and comb to the hatched feet and you can see the difference.
Personally, I think the color print looks great, but if you really think it needs work, that's where I would concentrate.
Thank you! I wish I knew how to add more detail to the front that doesn’t look bad. The back is easy because it has a complex pattern, but the front doesn’t. And I’m bad at shading skin.
I prefer the Campine. But that’s because the color in digital art seems so harsh and gaudy. I prefer pencil because of this.
FD67AFA4-51C2-4C0D-AD26-CB65234C1704.jpeg
8AB0962D-D2B0-4F8F-8ADB-C90F9F98ECFC.jpeg

^^^ this one used an actual, live bird reference. I drew my favorite bantam Buckeye pullet.
8688C4C8-9AD9-4B5B-8C84-A3591707A9A6.jpeg
7303D8B5-E1BA-46B9-A107-8E543CB67A0E.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Uhh, I googled welsummer, found this pic that's kinda close.View attachment 2123855

Obviously I traced over here, but it's mostly to show you the structures I'd try to emulate if I was drawing it. The chest line continues to curve up, and the Jaw is set in front of it.

View attachment 2123871

Yours honestly looks great, I don't think it needs to be changed. With out shading I think you're about as close as you can get.
I see. When I drew the jaw it just juts out. The way you illustrate it looks more natural. It makes sense. Thanks!

*finger guns*
Yep and that’s why I go reference free. Also I think I got the tail way better.
Yeah, I think so too.

That's why I prefer to use real life pics as reference. Each person sees things slightly differently. Different structures are more important to you than they are to me.

As an example, the way I stuck those lines on the chickens back, there really isn't a back line. I have neck, wing, tail. Where as, you might have the line go sloping from the neck to the tail and the wing be it's own thing. Neither is wrong, but it would make it look different.

If you were going off my art, or If I were going off yours it would look a lot less like what the chicken actually looked like, since both of us would cut out the lines we didn't feel were necessary, and emphasize the lines we think are important.

View attachment 2123832
ahh... a nice looking back
View attachment 2123833
AHHHH WHAT IS THIS ABOMINATION?
View attachment 2123831
full bird...
Does anyone have any advice that can make the head equal to the back?
Also I drew this...
View attachment 2123836
Thank you! I wish I knew how to add more detail to the front that doesn’t look bad. The back is easy because it has a complex pattern, but the front doesn’t. And I’m bad at shading skin.
I prefer the Campine. But that’s because the color in digital art seems so harsh and gaudy. I prefer pencil because of this.
View attachment 2123877View attachment 2123878
^^^ this one used an actual, live bird reference. I drew my favorite bantam Buckeye pullet.
View attachment 2123879View attachment 2123880
Fabulous chickens, Amer :clap

Back
Top Bottom