artic blast - Close chickenS in coop or not?

irischick

Songster
8 Years
Mar 8, 2013
I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. I have searched on here but perhaps was using wrong search words. Anyhow, here on Long Island it has been a bit chilly with some snow (lol). Last snow storm and cold bout I kept chickens in coop -shut the door to the run.
Question, Should I let them decide to go out or not or shut the door this time.

I just came in from giving them some BOSS and oatmeal mash. They loved it!!!

Thanks,

If you've the space in coop then I guess it doesn't really matter. I open the chicken door every morning regardless of weather, small coop so no choice in the matter. They'll hunker down in there on mornings like this -11F one until they are hungry enough then come out to eat and drink. The key to using a run in winter is to tarp off the prevailing wind sides then it's the same as being in the coop until the sun shines then even warmer than coop. I put hay down to cover the ice on these sub zero days too. If I don't cover the ice they wont come out at all when it's below zero, too much for their feet to bear. Wind shield and ice cover makes all the difference.

Thanks, yes, we have the run (8 x 24) 3/4 covered. we have 2 feet on all sides uncovered for ventilation. Thanks so much for your response. I feel much better now.

I'm in Albany, NY and I let them out this morning (or at least opened the door to the run). If they don't want to come out then they don't but at least they have the option.

Mine stay in all winter. I open the run on the nice days. 8 by10 coop 15 hens lots of room.
It is insulated but I leave a window opened at the top for fresh air. 10 eggs most days so they are doing well. North of Albany very cold.

I open the little door for them in the mornings. That way they can go in and out if they want to. The duck prefers to stay out most of the time anyway, no matter how cold it is. Right now it is -3 but I'll wait till about 10AM to open the pop door. I have a heat light over the roost and with 12 hens and 1 duck I am getting 9-12 eggs a day.

Last edited:
When it's nasty cold - like this morning at 0 degrees - I'll make sure they have fresh water and feed them a good breakfast first. I then wait and open the coop a few hours later. Just trying to keep them out of the worst of the wind before the sun begins to warm things up.

I don't think the sun is to be of much help today but - hey - it makes me feel better to see them in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom