Grit question

Soujrnr

Songster
Feb 18, 2023
Kingsport, Tennessee
Hi all. We just got five new chickens yesterday, and we are super excited!! We have feeding tubes in place, water will be provided via a 55-gallon rain barrel auto-feed system once I get the plumbing done, and the coop is built (a labor of love by my wife and I). We have some grit from the local feed store, but we aren't sure if we should put it in a bowl separately for the girls, or do they get it periodically like the meal worms. Can someone give us some direction on that, please? We are total newbs to this, but having a blast! We have a Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, California White, Black Copper Maran, and a Barnyard Mix. I think I got them all identified correctly. We've already had four eggs in less than 24 hours. I'm impressed since they just got here yesterday afternoon.

20230527_200501.jpg

Hi all. We just got five new chickens yesterday, and we are super excited!! We have feeding tubes in place, water will be provided via a 55-gallon rain barrel auto-feed system once I get the plumbing done, and the coop is built (a labor of love by my wife and I). We have some grit from the local feed store, but we aren't sure if we should put it in a bowl separately for the girls, or do they get it periodically like the meal worms. Can someone give us some direction on that, please? We are total newbs to this, but having a blast! We have a Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, California White, Black Copper Maran, and a Barnyard Mix. I think I got them all identified correctly. We've already had four eggs in less than 24 hours. I'm impressed since they just got here yesterday afternoon.

View attachment 3523473
Hi! You can provide them the grit in a separate bowl all the time. They will eat it when they need it. What are you feeding them? Oyster shell might be needed as well

Hi! You can provide them the grit in a separate bowl all the time. They will eat it when they need it. What are you feeding them? Oyster shell might be needed as well
We do have oyster shells, too. Should that be put out all the time as well?

I will put out a bowl of the grit later this evening. Thanks for the information!

We do have oyster shells, too. Should that be put out all the time as well?

I will put out a bowl of the grit later this evening. Thanks for the information!
Yes, provide the oyster shell in a third dish. The feed, grit, and oyster shell should all be separate, so the girls can decide what they need to go eat. Good luck with your ladies!

Back
Top Bottom