As promised A&M meat VS Pharaoh Meat

I just now read the whole post. I must have missed any negative posting, didn't see any. Anyway, thought the picture of the white meat quail pretty interesting. I don't happen to like white meat but I still thought it great to know. I will be interested in seeing what meat color my "Texas A&M" turn out to be. I already know they are quite small
hmm.png
but some aren't completely grown so we'll see. They are from two different people and I have mixed them together so maybe I will never know what they are until it is too late anyway. Frankly, if they don't grow any larger, I will cull them all and keep the larger browns instead.
Anyway, I wanted to say that I enjoyed reading this thread and seeing that there really are white meat quail out there still.
big_smile.png

There never was a debate about white meat quail
That would be bobwhites
I think people have gotten confused about the real definitions of them A&M breed

Byrdj
Unless i missed something that link showed no debate on white meat either The only discrepency is over the A&M breed
And why they were trying to develope this particular strain
Bobwhite are the only true white meat quail
Tx A&M were produced to have some of the same light flesh traits and could breed faster with larger birds
And i think that would be where the confusion starts
Most of it is because people sell English quail as Tx A&M because of the white feathers
And dont really know the difference
Enlish are coturnix just the same just smaller and darker flesh than a true Tx A&M
Although that is a good and informative link and all should take a look at it

Quote:
Agreed. My only question is the meat on true A & M's (not english whites) noticably lighter than the meat on the browns? If so, then the next question is there a taste difference? I know that most people agree (including myself) that bobwhites are better tasting than any coturnix, but are a pain to raise and more costly. Since the Texas A & M university poultry science department discontinued producing white A & M's more than 10 years ago. I seems to reason that they have been so diluted by now that a (pure) A & M is very hard to find and what most people are calling A & M's are mixed with english whites, or 100% english whites. My main goal in breeding is to increase the size of the birds in my covey so I'm not that concerned about whether true lighter meat A & M's exist. It's more of a novelty to me, and hope to get some if they exist to help keep the line going pure. It will be interesting to see the video and pictures from happy chick. I hope she describes the difference in taste also if she perceives one. Maybe she should have her friend do a blindfold taste test to be unbiased
smile.png

Its prob a little of a few things why some TA quail have dark meat... maybe there english or mixes of and maybe people just mismanaged and let them breed with regular cortunix so the bird is white but the meat took on the brown quail traits. Would be interesting if the thread started is sure they have white meat with all there TA&Ms.... heck I would grab a few.... but I beieve I got my 13 from the same place they did.. so who knows...

Byrdj

I agree bobwhite to me are heaven under feathers
big_smile.png

The actual Tx A&M are different in taste being lighter flesh and all
Not as good as a bob but i like them myself and they really do raise faster like coturnix
Chukar would be my next favorite bird for supper

Quote:
So you have actually eaten a light fleshed Texas A&M bird? Was the meat as 'light' or as 'white' as the bobwhite quail?

Quote:
So you have actually eaten a light fleshed Texas A&M bird? Was the meat as 'light' or as 'white' as the bobwhite quail?

CAREFUL BIGJOHN, FOLKS HAVE BEEN BANNED FOR ASKING SUCH QUESTIONS!

Back
Top Bottom