Ascites and internal laying - sharing my experience - Benedict's story

ejctm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
Hi All,

Just thought it might help others who face this situation in the future, if I describe my experience on the forum. It is still an ongoing story so I will try and update it every day until we reach a conclusion, one way or the other.

I long suspected my Light Sussex/RIR cross hen, Benedict had ascites as she had fluid building up in her abdomen for the last 2-3 years, but it did not seem to bother her, it only increased very very gradually, and she was otherwise fit, well and happy. She always has a bit of a mucky bum as the poop drops onto the swollen area underneath her vent before hitting the ground so we just made sure we removed any large lumps of poop that got stuck in her feathers.

She is a wonderful hen, and my favourite, having raised 2 clutches of ducklings for us and been an amazing mum even though her hybrid strain is not supposed to go broody.

Bene's two sisters died about 2 years ago of internal laying and I found out that it was very common in breeds that are bred for egg production - something us humans are respsonsible for. Bene did not succumb at the same time and she is now 5 years old. She is a pet and much loved, very tame and just a sweetheart.

Yesterday I noticed that she was not 100% herself, sitting on the grass and looking a bit lethergic, although she was running around the rest of the day as usual. She has also not been laying every day, but has been laying recently, so I did not suspect internal laying. One of my hens laid a shell-less egg a couple of weeks ago, but I did not know who and did not think much of it. After seeing her look miserable, I thought perhaps the ascites had worsened and she was showing signs of liver and/or heart failure. When I picked her up, I noticed the swollen area was larger than before. Ascites is also called water belly and for good reason as the abdomen looks like a water balloon, it is warm and liquid filled and malleable, not hard or lumpy. I took her to the vet today to have the area drained, thinking that it would ease any pressure on her heart and make her feel a bit better. I did not expect a cure, just to make her more comfortable and hopefully extend her life another couple of years.

To my dismay, the vet drew egg yolk out of the syringe. It was watery so looked like it is mixed with the ascites fluid, but was bright yellow and definitely egg yolk. She could not feel any shell inside. Bene's heartbeat appeared normal, but she was a bit hot. The vet thought that infection had already started to set in, but was very early as Bene was quite perky and was eating and drinking fine. She was not listless or very obviously a sick chicken and I had only noticed her looking slightly under par because she is a pet and I know her behaviour. Since Bene laid an egg 2 days ago, the current internal egg that the vet found cannot have been festering inside her for longer than 1 day. It appeared as if we had 3 issues to deal with: the ascites (long term and incurable but not currently killing her), the internal laying (may be short term (just the 1 egg) and resolve itself, or may be a major reproductive system breakdown and incurable), and the infection (will either not set in properly or will kill her within a few days).

As I saw it, we had 3 options open to us:

1. euthanise her now and save her future suffering
2. do nothing, wait and see if it resolved on its own and just let nature take its course if it did not
3. give her some antibiotics and see if this got rid of the infection, and then see if her reproductive system resolved itself.

Having seen how poorly hens appear and how quickly hens can go downhill with internal laying, and that Bene was actually quite perky for an internally laying chicken with an infection, on the vet's advice we opted to give her antibiotics. The vet said that she she was a good weight (3.25kgs) and was eating and drinking and her eyes looked alert, that she may have a good chance. So, we will see what happens. She will either get very sick over the next couple of days and die, or she will get better from the infection. If the infection clears and she continues internally laying, then there is not really much hope for her in the long term as she will just get another infection as soon as the antibiotics finish. If she stops internally laying and her system returns to normal, even if a slim chance, then she will live a lot longer. This is how I see it anyway.

Bene is a pet and we felt we ought to give her the best chance. We will not however be considering surgery to remove her oviducts which I have read is another option. We feel that is just a step too far and too much major surgery to put a hen through. If the antibiotics do not work, and/or if she continues internally laying, then we will let nature take its course. We will know more in a few days. I will post updates. For info, she is on 2.5% Baytril administered orally, at 1.3ml twice a day.

If anyone has had a similar experience, or who can share more information about ascites, antibiotics or internal laying, (or correct me on any of the above information), particularly if you have had a hen with both conditions, please contribute to this thread.

Update - Bene got back from the vet and I gave her the antibiotic which she took very well. It was just the same as giving a dog an oral medicine - I just opened her beak between the fingers of one hand and squirted the syringe contents down her throat with the other.

I then sprayed her lower abdomen area with some betadine as the vet had made quite a few puncture holes to drain the fluid which had stopped bleeding, but I thought just in case they drip a little blood I did not want the other hens pecking at her already sore and swollen area. Also, I thought it would reduce the risk of any other infection getting in from the outside.

She settled well back into the flock and put herself to bed as usual with the others a bit later on. She seemed fine in herself.

I have marked the others' eggs today so I know which one is Bene's tomorrow (if she lays at all). They all lay slightly different coloured brown eggs. I need to take Bene's away and dispose of them as we cannot eat them with the antibiotic in.

Update - Bene seems much perkier today. I have been out at work but hubby who was at home said she was behaving normally. I do hope the antibiotics are working. She roosted tonight, and has been eating and drinking and foraging all day as usual. No egg today from her though, which I knew was complete wishful-thinking.

I have read tamtam's thread on ascites and now think that I should be draining Bene with a needle and syringe myself. I will think about this. When the vet drew off fluid, it was really only about 10ml at most and did not reduce the size of the bulge at all. Since the fluid was eggy it was thicker than water and she had to use a larger needle. If I ask the vet to supply me with a sterile needle and syringe they will think me insane, as people don't really treat their own animals here in the UK, and the vet will probably not want to be complicit in my DIY surgery for professional indemnity insurance reasons. I can see the theory that if there is less fluid in the abdomen, then there is less stuff to get infected. I will see if I can find some medical supplies online, or perhaps from a pharmacy.

It is great to learn so much from other chicken keepers and their experiences. And such a shame to see that this condition is so common.

I very guiltily have ordered some hatching eggs - not to replace Bene because I am still hoping that she is going to be OK (however unrealistic that might be), but because I am selling some of my runner ducks and thinking that I will have room and want to try raising some other breeds of chicken. It will be hard enough to say goodbye to my lovely drake, but since he has an unhealthy sexual interest in the chickens, I know he has to go. Then I won't have to keep the ducks and chickens separated all the time, which limits their space in a free-ranging back garden.

I have ordered Jersey Giant (because I love these huge regal-looking chickens with beetly black/green feathers), Buff Orpington (because my son is besotted with one on the farm up the road, he calls it a "big fluffy golden chicken" and he is 13 and a big softy) and Silver Laced Wyandotte (because they are simply beautiful). I am aiming to hatch 2 of each and keep 1 hen of each if I am lucky. I also hope that looking forward to new life will make it easier to bear if the worst happens with Bene. That feels a bit selfish to say, but there it is.

It is a shame that I will have to borrow a neighbour's incubator, as Bene has been our broody hen and such a great mum that we have left the whole job to her in the past. Even if she recovers, I would not put her body through that ordeal again, as it does take its toll, sitting for 3 weeks (or longer to ensure proper broodiness) and then making sure the chicks eat before she does.

I will try and remember to get some live yoghurt into Bene to restore her gut bacteria from the Baytril's effects. (I do hope I do not look back at this post in a week and think how ridiculous it was of me to think of gut bacteria when she had a life-threatening condition - I guess I just want to be doing something)

There is nothing wrong with getting some new blood in the flock. I love JGs. I used to have a pair and they were great birds. My favorites of all breeds. I'd like to get some more soon. BOs are too broody for my tastes, but if you enjoy hatching that may be to your advantage. And SLWs? Who doesn't love those grumpy old biddies? They are truly the most stunning birds. I have had several GLWs, but would love to get some of the silvers.

I will keep reading to see what Bene's outcome is. (Well, we know what her outcome will be, but...)

I just put down an internal layer a little over a week ago, and I am monitoring a second hen with reproductive issues. I hate this part of poultry keeping.

Thanks CMV for your support.

I am hoping that the other pure breeds will have less susceptibility to internal laying as they are not so highly reproductive as the hybrids I currently have who lay around 300 eggs per year each. I may be wrong but here is hoping. I wonder if my runner ducks will also be prone to this as they lay prolifically. Sigh - I do hope not.

I am sorry to hear about your hens too. I try and remember that if mine had been hatched on a battery farm then they would not have been kept alive much beyond their first year, so even if they live a shorter life due to their genetics with me, it is still longer than a battery hen and it is a very good life.

The irony is that we have so many eggs (just with 6 laying birds) that we cannot eat them all and give most away to neighbours and friends. Even the postman does not go away empty handed from our house!

So when Bene was broody would her swelling go down at all. I have the same situation as you and tamtam and I have not drained yet because I am too nervous to do it. I have started the milk thistle that someone recommended on tamtam's thread.
I found that when I would crush up calcium tablets like Tums and put it in my hens yogurt and cottage cheese that it helped with her soft shell/ no shell eggs. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to up her calcium intake.

Arkansaschicks - I think that is good advice and have added some oyster shell to their feed. They are on layers pellets and free range on grass (we have chalky and clay soil) so they really should get enough calcium, but no harm in boosting it a bit. In fact, Bene laid an egg yesterday with no shell, just the membrane, and this is the first one since taking her to the vet. I think this was the egg causing the extra bulge and which the vet poked with the needle. It felt soft inside her because it had no shell, which is why we thought it was just more of the ascites fluid/internally laid egg.

The bulge is now smaller (but still a bulge) and I haven't drained it myself. The vet did not test for bacteria but assumed she was infected because her lobes were hot. Today, her lobes are normal temp. I am wondering if she was laying internally or just laying shell-less eggs, or maybe both? It could be that the antibiotics have worked their magic and the infection has started to clear because of that.
Bene is running around as normal (with her ascites bulge) and looks her usual perky self!!
wee.gif

I just hope that this is the start of a full (ish) recovery (fingers crossed). I will keep adding oyster shell to the feed and get some more antibiotics to run the full course of 10 days. The vet only gave me a short supply in case they did not work and she did not survive more than a few days.

I am keeping a close eye on her. Still not sure whether to drain the bulge or leave it. If she lays more shell-less eggs then there might be a chance I could introduce infection inside her by poking with a needle if there is a chance that she will actually pass those eggs to the outside. If they stay in, that is another matter. Oh, what to do?

I'm so glad to hear Bene is feeling better. I think it never hurts to try, so upping the oyster shells will be good. I just did the Tums because I had several people say it just was a fast calcium boost and by putting it in a little bit of yogurt then you know they are eating it. My thing is I have been trying to figure out the swollen abdomen thing for two years now. My first BO got it when she was about 1 yrs old and I took her to the vet and she told me she thought it was Fatty Liver Syndrome.She told me to change her diet. I tried to the best I could without just completely separating her from the others. She lived another year and I never drained her so she just lived with a squishy abdomen. When she died she went down fast. In one day she went from feeling fine to dying in my arms of heart failure. That makes me believe mine was fatty liver. Now Gracie's baby Shelby and Shelby's baby Julia have it. Each right about a year old.
The research I have done shows that when the liver is not functioning properly there is the build up of fluid which eventually cause the heart failure. So I think the key is keeping the fluid down one way or another. I think this thing we all have is hard oi diagnose for sure, but I'm going to try anything I can to see if Shelby and Julia don't have to die from it. We'll see :) Strange how my Gracie and Bene have laid shell-less eggs but Buttercup-Tamtam's girl doesn't lay at all. I think she just went from laying to no laying. I say we all just keep working on this!! I have my 2 girls on the milk thistle and the draining is helping Buttercup. Hopefully the antibiotic works for Bene!

Oh and also I asked about your girl being broody because the squishy abdomen always went away when my girls went broody. Yes it came back but it went away and came back slowly.

I don't remember if her bulge went down when she brooded babies, as she last did this two years ago, and the bulge was not as big as it is now, so it might not have been apparent. They get a bit dehydrated when brooding with only one drink per day so perhaps that reduces the abdominal fluid?

Back
Top Bottom