Ascites Draining

So I got a 20 ml syringe and 20 gauge needle.
How much electrolytes would you recommend. And then what antibiotic besides amoxicillin would be best?

Baytril is banned for chickens, due to developing bacterial resistant bacteria. But some vets do still prescribe it for serious infections. As long as you know that, the Baytril probably would be a better antibiotic to use.

Some people who do a lot of draining have recommended an 18 or even 16 gauge needle, since the fluid can be viscous. I used what I had last year on my bantam hen, a 22 gauge, and even that worked well. I removed the needle and she did continue to drip as well. You may not be able to prevent that. I had to drain her once every 3-5 days. She died after the third attempt, and the fluid had become thicker and cloudy, signs of infection. It
Draining prolonged her life about 2 extra weeks and made it easier for her to breathe from having a bloated lower belly, but I’m not always sure that it is that beneficial. I tend to let nature take it’s course with my chickens.

So you are saying that Baytril is better than amoxicillin in this case? Do you know the dosage? I have powdered amoxicillin at home, it consists of amoxicillin trihydrate 150 mg and tylosin tertrate 100 mg and corn maltodextrin.

I used an 18 gauge last time and I didn't like how big the hole was so I am going with 20 to see how it goes.

She is open mouth breathing, granted, it is Florida but Eddie who has a small comb pants when it isn't that hot and she hasn't been but SJ is, a lot. I am sure she can make it to tomorrow to drain, I just don't want her to start acting sick before it

I am willing to tube feed electrolytes into her, how much should I give today in preparation.

She is currently in the egg laying box, I don't think it's because she is sick, she has done it recently.
Can it be EYP again?

Baytril, yes is a better antibiotic, although I would use the amoxicillin if I didn’t have the other. Dosage of 10% Baytril liquid is 0.05 ml per pound given twice a day for 5 days. EYP and other reproductive disorders don’t get better, and they may be possible reasons for the ascites. At 7 yrs, she is a senior, and she may be headed downhill. Draining ascites is only a temporary fix, to relieve pressure and breathing. Be sure to disinfect the skin before inserting the needle. Ascites fluid is yellow to amber. Antibiotics may or may not extend her life.

The only chicken electrolytes I have is save a chick, is that fine?
And I add the rooster booster vitamins in their water everyday
https://www.chewy.com/rooster-booster-vitamins-electrolytes/dp/260022?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Rooster Booster&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvKyg0b3w9AIVD02GCh2eEA4KEAQYASABEgJETvD_BwE
It does have electrolytes in it.... and she has been getting it regularly
I can give her some extra today, I’m not too knowledge on it so whatever you think, save a chick or my rooster booster?

So she has been getting it regularly, should I syringe some to make sure she is good?

Back
Top Bottom