Ascites Draining

Well amoxicillin came in the mail today but if baytril is better I will stick with it. I am giving her her ascites treatment, baytril and 3 ml of electrolytes because she already has some in her water. I am planning on doing it tomorrow at around 2

She is open mouth breathing constantly now, hoping she will still be in good spirits tomorrow so she won’t be sick when I do it.

I was in a rush but I’m sorry for your loss @azygous, but your right when you told me we learn from our mistakes so thank you for telling me about the electrolytes, but I am deeply sorry that you lost her :hugs

If she is gasping a lot, it might be better to go ahead and drain her today to relieve her abdominal pressure. But that is up to you. We all have to learn from out experience and mistakes. Let us know if the fluid is cloudy, what color, etc. Anytime clear colorless fluid is seen with draining, that would be from a cystic right oviduct, not ascites. Both can cause swelling of the abdomen.

I personally feel knowing now, that I should let the baytril and extra electrolytes settle in before doing it, I hope she can make it to tomorrow but I don’t want to rush it.
I would say she’s been gasping 3/4 of today so there has been a lot but she is still scratching around not showing any symptoms, of course I learned from Rihanna they can be hurting deep down and not show it until their last day here.

Ugh, yeah I think I will go early in the morning and do it, I was going to take an exam but hey, my chickens matter more 🤣

I picked her up to give baytril and she didn’t pant when I put pressure on her. I think I will do it early tomorrow so I can monitor her throughout the day

Just so you see, this is what she is looking like, when I took these she opened her mouth wide

Attachments

• DA914A6D-92FE-4784-B583-E748C2B83C99.jpeg
    DA914A6D-92FE-4784-B583-E748C2B83C99.jpeg
    846.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 927826E7-653B-4C82-A352-5186FFA15FF1.jpeg
    927826E7-653B-4C82-A352-5186FFA15FF1.jpeg
    851.8 KB · Views: 7
I don’t think she’s comfortable, I might do it in 30 minutes. Can I sterilize her and everything else with rubbing alcohol?
And what’s t average amount you have pulled @azygous and @Eggcessive

I am going to pull out 20 ml, the size of the syringe, and then let her drip a little until I am content and take the needle out and place her in a cage with clean towels.

Does that sound good?

That sounds good, because they may continue to drip afterward. I put them on a towel or puppy pad to collect the droppings. Alcohol is fine to sterilize the skin if that is what you have, but Betadine or chlorhexidene is very good.

Ok, and I insert the needle at a slight angle and it’s preferably one inch down from vent and a little on the hens right side, not my right but her right?

And I read if it’s not yellow to stop draining? Is that smart or should I proceed anyway

Alright, I just gave her a butt bath to clean her up and get the feathers partially wet, I will still give her electrolytes and then watch one final video and do it.

Do you insert it straight in, one inch down and to her right?

Back
Top Bottom