Ascites in Ducks

Eric_W

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Pennsylvania
I have 2 ducks that I took in early this past summer who needed homes. They both have saggy bottoms more pronounced on the right and feels like a water balloon. From what I’m told they’re about 3 years old. I have no idea of their background or how they would have gotten it but here we are and I’m just trying to give them the best life possible. I know it’s not curable but have any of you had success draining them? I tried yesterday on the one and I couldn’t get anything out. Not sure what I did wrong but was looking for tips if anyone has ran into this. Otherwise I’ll take them to the vet.

Update.. back from the vet with Shirley. Casportpony you were right it’s not drainable whatever it is . The vet wasn’t concerned about it though because she said there are no hard lumps or tumors but there’s no fluid either. For now she said to just keep an eye on things and let her know if it progresses. She thinks it is from malnutrition before I got her.

I think I will. Hopefully I can watch the vet do it and then be able to do it myself when they need done again in the future.
It can be tricky because while it may look like a water balloon, sometimes it isn't. I have some necropsy pictures if you wanna see what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom