Ascites/not eating/scaly leg mites

Please, allow for at least 4-5 hours in between administering the calcium and the amoxi, otherwise the calcium interferes with the uptake of the antibiotic.

ETA: The same goes for dairy products.

Alright so today she had poop coming down her butt.
I know that she had vent gleet in the past but maybe she was going through an egg laying period last year like she is now.
it looks like poop and not yolk... what is happening now?

Attachments

• E3FFFC3D-40FE-4283-97F3-19B48891F041.jpeg
    E3FFFC3D-40FE-4283-97F3-19B48891F041.jpeg
    471.3 KB · Views: 4
Please, allow for at least 4-5 hours in between administering the calcium and the amoxi, otherwise the calcium interferes with the uptake of the antibiotic.

ETA: The same goes for dairy products.
So BYC didn’t update me that you posted on this thread... I only saw this today. I only have 1 day left of the amoxicillin but I have been giving it at the same time. Has it been doing anything? Should I restart it?
and how long should I be giving the calcium. She doesn’t seem to be improving.
I am going to give her an Epsom salt bath now

ALRIGHT SO NOW: I just went out to her and she is straining to poop and she did and it was white liquidy gross and then there was a little blood coming out as well... she is one of my favorites and she has been with me for 8 years. I really don’t want to lose her

After reading a bit I kind of think she has vent gleet and egg problems... in about April she had the white discharge coming from her butt and was losing feathers.

Sorry for putting so many posts but now after her bath... she definitely has a smell coming from her vent... not good at all. She is cleaned up but it smells and her butt is a bit red

Alright so today she had poop coming down her butt.
I know that she had vent gleet in the past but maybe she was going through an egg laying period last year like she is now.
it looks like poop and not yolk... what is happening now?
This kind of diarrhea could be caused by the antibiotic, as the good gut bacteria will also get destructed along with the pathogenic ones.

To restore gut balance you could try the Moro carrot soup. It helps even with bacteria resistant to antibiotics. But be careful to only use half the amount of salt as chicken kidneys are sensitive to salt.

https://www.ency123.com/2015/09/natural-remedy-for-diarrhea-professor.html

I know from my old hens (almost 10 and 8 years old), that they had problems to reach the butt area, just getting more inflexible with age.

Sorry for putting so many posts but now after her bath... she definitely has a smell coming from her vent... not good at all. She is cleaned up but it smells and her butt is a bit red
As she is already suffering from ascites, I suppose she has issues with her reproductive system, a common 'occupational disease' in chickens, mostly egg yolk peritonitis or ovarian cancer etc.
Sadly, there is not much one can do to prevent or help this, even antibiotics won't usually help, even less in such an advanced state.

Alright that makes me feel better... but she just pooped and it is this. I had to pick it up on paper towel but it looks kinda bloody. I feel like it has to do with her egg problem

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 3
As she is already suffering from ascites, I suppose she has issues with her reproductive system, a common 'occupational disease' in chickens, mostly egg yolk peritonitis or ovarian cancer etc.
Sadly, there is not much one can do to prevent or help this, even antibiotics won't usually help, even less in such an advanced state.
Oh no she isn’t one with ascites. She has always just had a bit of a fat butt. It’s kinda hard and not liquidy. Could she still have egg yolk petitioned or ovarian cancer?

Back
Top Bottom