Ascites or Egg Bound Or???

There. Posted it for you.

Your tiny pullet may be egg bound. That vent appears to be prolapsing from her exertions. She also appear exhausted.

Do these two things immediately. Give her a calcium tablet, anything you have on hand, but preferably calcium citrate. She's so tiny, you can give her half a tab now and half before bedtime. Then stir a little sugar into a little cup of warm water and have her drink it.

She's had enough soaking. Pat her dry and blow dry her so she doesn't get chilled. Then fix up a crate or box with a nice warm towel right out of the dryer to lie on. Make the sugar water easy for her to reach and drink. Then leave her to rest quietly.

The calcium will stimulate contractions to get the egg out. But it's important to be able to see what comes out of her. If the egg is broken when it comes out, she will probably also need an antibiotic. Do you have any old prescriptions on hand?

There. Posted it for you.

Your tiny pullet may be egg bound. That vent appears to be prolapsing from her exertions. She also appear exhausted.

Do these two things immediately. Give her a calcium tablet, anything you have on hand, but preferably calcium citrate. She's so tiny, you can give her half a tab now and half before bedtime. Then stir a little sugar into a little cup of warm water and have her drink it.

She's had enough soaking. Pat her dry and blow dry her so she doesn't get chilled. Then fix up a crate or box with a nice warm towel right out of the dryer to lie on. Make the sugar water easy for her to reach and drink. Then leave her to rest quietly.

The calcium will stimulate contractions to get the egg out. But it's important to be able to see what comes out of her. If the egg is broken when it comes out, she will probably also need an antibiotic. Do you have any old prescriptions on hand?

I have tums and egg shells, layer boost, vetericyn, vet rx, red kote... That's it. I do have sugar, so I will make her sugar water.

Give her a Tums. Do you have an antibiotic? Penicillin or amoxicillin or something like that? She appears to have an infection judging from the swollen area around her vent. Her comb appears dull and bluish, too, meaning she's sick.

Are you in a city with pet stores? They often carry fish antibiotics. Ask for Fish Mox 250mg. You don't need a prescription. I'm assuming you're in the US. Europe and Asia have different rules for antibiotics and usually a vet has to provide them.

Back
Top Bottom