Ascites?? Swollen, squishy abdomen - WITH PICS & VIDEO (page 9)

We only had to drain Buttercup one time. I didn't follow sterile protocol like you did (good for you!) and just poked her three times in three separate spots (but close together) with the same needle. I just wanted to get as much fluid off of her as possible because at that time I didn't think she would make it through the night. The needle went in very easily and she didn't move at all, so I like to think it didn't hurt too much.

Since Peep is draining on her own from the needle site, I'd check periodically to see if fluid is still coming off her. We haven't had to drain Buttercup again since that night when she drained out all the way on her own while she was on the roost overnight. I have heard some people have to drain again every 4-5 months, so I'm keeping a close eye on her and feeling her every day to see if there is any more fluid, but so far so good.

Buttercup's vent did look normal. Pinkish and nothing protruding like you mentioned, so I'm not sure what that could be. From what I understand when they lay internally, the yolks get backed up and do get infected because they sort of cook inside the warm abdomen. They kind of get trapped and fester and do get infected in most cases I believe. The vet tested her fluid (she drew a tiny amount off her - only 1 cc - at the appt) and said it was full of bacteria and she had a nasty infection, so that's why she gave me the Baytril. That may have been the reason why she survived and seems to be doing well. But of course it is not a cure and there is probably still a bunch of egg yolk stuck inside her. It's like putting a band-aid on a gaping wound, but it bought her some more time.

Good luck! Keep us posted! You're doing a great job with her. It's evident that you really care.

SpeckledHen: The fluid I drained off of Peep is very clear with a hint of straw color. Should I get penicillin for sure and inject her? Also, parts of her abdomen feel really hard, not squishy at all. Her lower ab right by her vents and to the inside of her legs is the squishy area. What does the hard area mean? Do you know? Do the eggs just sit inside of her?

The hard areas may just be so full of fluid/yolk that it is stretching the skin, however, I once had a hen with a very hard abdomen who was losing weight dramatically. We euthanized her to find that she had a huge egg-within-an-egg which, being too huge to pass, had dropped into the abdomen. So it's hard to really say what is in there for sure. You can certainly do the penicillin if you like--sometimes, you just want to do something so you dont feel so helpless, I know.

Update - Buttercup is still doing well. Swelling has not returned and she is roosting, eating, drinking, pooping, and running after treats like usual. Still hasn't laid an egg, so I still suspect internal laying. Right now I'm in "watch and wait" mode.

@OMealyFarm - How is Peep doing? Any updates??

Well, we had to drain Buttercup again a couple of days ago. She was filling back up with fluid and starting to waddle, so we did the same draining procedure as before. The next day after she was drained I was inspecting her and felt her breastbone. She is pretty much emaciated and feels like she has no meat left around her breast - just bone. She is feeling kind of hard if I feel down under her breast but not all the way to her bottom.

@speckledhen I know you mentioned this, where your hen lost weight dramatically even though she was swollen in the abdomen. Sadly, I feel like Buttercup is on her way out. She is still roosting and drinking and eating treats, but she is noticeably lethargic. She still does run for treats, though. :)

Still in watch and wait mode at this point and making her days as happy and comfortable as possible.

So sorry, but I know exactly what you're going through. I'm hoping I don't have to do this many more times since most of my hatchery hens are gone now, but of course, it's not completely limited to only hatchery stock, just that they have worse genetics overall.

It amazes me how thin they can get. You could cut meat with their keel bones and it's really sad. It's hard to realize when they're getting that thin because feathers hide it so well.

Hi There, I am so sorry to hear you are needing to drain Buttercup again! Peep passed away on April 27th. I guess I should have gotten the antibiotics sooner, but she seemed to be doing so well and then swelled up again. I was just going to go and get the meds that day and it was too late. We had to take her out of the hen house because the other birds had started picking on her so it was sad that she died alone, but I could not stand to see the others picking on her. She actually seemed peaceful by herself. Not much to stress her that way. Hard to believe she was the head hen before this all started happening. I sure hope Buttercup recovers. It is so difficult to see this happen. I hope and pray we never have to go through this again.

I felt so silly when I cried when she died. I had a 4H meeting to attend that morning, and when I got to the meeting my eyes were all swollen from crying. I told the ladies what had happened and they both got tears in their eyes as well and said they understood since they both have chickens. Whew, no more feeling silly about being emotional over a chicken. They "got" it! :) I truely think one must have chickens to understand how easy it is to get attached. We are that way with all our animals......cows, horses, dogs, and cats, oh...let's not leave out the geese. :) Anyway, good luck with Buttercup and thank you so much for all your support and guidance through this ordeal. I find it amazing that none of the vets I called in this rural community could help me out. Backyard chicken is the best!

Peace to you all!
Linnea

Oh Linnea, I'm so sorry about Peep! Please don't feel silly crying over your chickens! I bawled like a baby for hours when my favorite one died last summer. I was a mess. When I found her I just broke down (probably worse because I wasn't expecting her to pass away). And I've already shed plenty of tears over Buttercup, with many more to come I'm sure. Sadly, she is going downhill fast and I don't think there's much time left.

Yesterday I was walking over to check her out, and my rooster rushed towards me to stop me from getting closer! He has NEVER acted aggressively towards me before (I'm lucky, we got a good roo). I guess he knows she is sick and doesn't want to be bothered. He's very protective of his girls. Luckily the others aren't picking on her yet, and another hen (who normally isn't nice to the others) even sat down right beside her for a while this morning. It was really sweet. I know she is feeling bad, but she still tries to act normal (preening when all the others are around her and scratching for food). But she only does these things for a little while then has to rest. It's pretty heartbreaking. She knows if she puts her guard down the others will start to pick on her. Yesterday she even pecked at one of the hens below her in the pecking order. Still trying to keep her place in the order even now.

I'm glad your 4H ladies made you feel better about the ordeal. I never thought it would be so easy to get attached to a chicken, but they really do capture our hearts. Again, so so sorry about Peep. :(

Well, drained Buttercup for the 3rd time last night. She wasn't squishy like before, her abdomen was actually more hard so I didn't think any fluid would come out. But I figured I'd try because she was having trouble breathing and walking. Poked her twice with the needle and drew out a small amount of fluid (same straw colored fluid as before) then it started dripping out of her in quick, steady drops. She kept draining for probably another couple hours (this was just before she went in to roost for the night). I was surprised how quickly she perked back up after some of the fluid drained off her.

This morning when I let everyone out of the coop, she was actually the first out the pop door and came running out across the run. She is a lot less swollen and looks to be feeling better. Her breathing is back to normal and she isn't waddling or standing like a penguin anymore. However, she is still feeling hard inside, and I'm sure it's just all the egg yolks stuck in her abdomen.

It's pretty exhausting going back and forth between thinking she is going to be gone when I check the coop the next morning and thinking she is going to make it a little longer. I actually said goodbye to her last week when I tucked her in for the night because I thought she wouldn't make it through that night. But she keeps on going. Yesterday before I drained her, she climbed up on my lap and I even had the thought of maybe I should just euthanize her because I know this will eventually kill her. But my last ditch effort was draining again, and looks like it has helped her a lot for now. Will keep doing what's best for her and try to make her comfortable and happy as possible.

She is doing better right now. Still walking a little upright and has some solid masses inside her, but the fluid hasn't returned yet. Thanks for asking :)

Back
Top Bottom