Ascites?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rnal-laying-should-i-atempt-draining.1156299/ looks like you are in good hands with here, I’ve had several chickens with ascites caused by cancer. (
I figured out they were spraying pesticides too close to the chicken yard, I would lose one every year around the time they’d do it. Asked them to increase their distance and haven’t has a problem since.)
I chose to drain my last one, and personally I’m glad I did, the others I seemed in a lot of pain when they died and did not die well, I saw a huge contrast in the way my last one died. I put a link to the thread where I drained her, I was able to prolong her life for six months, but it was a very sad length of time.

Have you checked her crop to see if it is enlarged as well. The best time to check it is in early morning at daylight before she has eaten, when it should be empty. Crop disorders tend to follow reproductive disorders and ascites.

If
That does sound exactly what she's doing. Should I just leave it I guess? I can't go anywhere, and I'd prefer not to cull her. Anything I can do? I have some nutridrench, but I don't know if that wouod do anything?
I’m not mistaken it is possible to drain them for egg pendoritis, just have to use a large gauge needle, I imagine it isn’t as easy, but you won’t really know unless you drain her, mine would stop laying when they had ascities, they kinda go into life preserver mode, they lose weight and stop laying, Since all the pressure starts to shut things down

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rnal-laying-should-i-atempt-draining.1156299/ looks like you are in good hands with here, I’ve had several chickens with ascites caused by cancer. (
I figured out they were spraying pesticides too close to the chicken yard, I would lose one every year around the time they’d do it. Asked them to increase their distance and haven’t has a problem since.)
I chose to drain my last one, and personally I’m glad I did, the others I seemed in a lot of pain when they died and did not die well, I saw a huge contrast in the way my last one died. I put a link to the thread where I drained her, I was able to prolong her life for six months, but it was a very sad length of time.
Well, they drive a big truck through town any spray for mosquitoes every week in the summer. I think our GLW had it last summer, but she got attacked by a dog so I dont really know. There wasnt enough left to necropsy

If

I’m not mistaken it is possible to drain them for egg pendoritis, just have to use a large gauge needle, I imagine it isn’t as easy, but you won’t really know unless you drain her, mine would stop laying when they had ascities, they kinda go into life preserver mode, they lose weight and stop laying, Since all the pressure starts to shut things down
She is thin. I think I'll just let her be and I'll fill her if she starts acting worse. I don't really have any way to get those things so I'll just see if it improves. Any TLC recommendations to help her gain some more weight?

Have you checked her crop to see if it is enlarged as well. The best time to check it is in early morning at daylight before she has eaten, when it should be empty. Crop disorders tend to follow reproductive disorders and ascites.
I haven't, I'll check tomorrow. It's been pretty empty lately do to her lack of appetite

if it really is ascites or internal laying, the best thing is making her comfortable. You can take an old cushion and towel to put her on, that can help her feel more comfortable with the pressure. If you can you can elevate her front so the fluid isn’t pressing so much on the lungs. And just feed her her favorite foods to encourage her to eat, stuff with lots of protine like tuna, eggs or yogurt. I’m so sorry about your hen, and it’s especially hard right now since you can’t go anywhere 😥

Sorry to be the debbie downer(or honest hannah) but ascites is usually not a recoverable condition. It's caused by organ failure. Draining is a temporary relief from the symptom(accumulation of fluids). It might make her(and mostly you) feel a bit better, but not a long term 'cure'. Coaxed one thru it for a few days, it only prolonged her suffering, before euthanasia ended it. Had two more and euthanized immediately. All three had serious issues inside.

if it really is ascites or internal laying, the best thing is making her comfortable. You can take an old cushion and towel to put her on, that can help her feel more comfortable with the pressure. If you can you can elevate her front so the fluid isn’t pressing so much on the lungs. And just feed her her favorite foods to encourage her to eat, stuff with lots of protine like tuna, eggs or yogurt. I’m so sorry about your hen, and it’s especially hard right now since you can’t go anywhere 😥
Yeah, I just don't know what to do for her. I'll try to make her comfortable, but we are probably just going to end up culling her. Thank you all for your help. I was assuming there wouldn't be much I could do, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not able to help her more before putting her down.

Sorry to be the debbie downer(or honest hannah) but ascites is usually not a recoverable condition. It's caused by organ failure. Draining is a temporary relief from the symptom(accumulation of fluids). It might make her(and mostly you) feel a bit better, but not a long term 'cure'. Coaxed one thru it for a few days, it only prolonged her suffering, before euthanasia ended it. Had two more and euthanized immediately. All three had serious issues inside.
That's what I figured, thanks for your help. I like her a lot and she's really pretty, but she is a real jerk to all the other hens, maybe it's a blessing in disguise sort of thing. I really will miss her though. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom