Asil cockerel attacked by hawk, internal injuries

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
I heard the chickens freaking out today and ran outside to see a hawk flying away from some bushes. My 4 month old asil was lying face down beneath the bushes with his legs stretched out behind him. His mouth was open with blood in his beak. I brought him inside and cleaned him off, it took at least 10 minutes for him to "wake up" and start sqwaking and struggling.

I checked his whole body and can't find any injury anywhere, so I assume his injuries must be internal. He won't eat or drink, and keeps closing his eyes like he's in pain. I'm afraid that if I handle him I will make his injuries worse. He goes into a loud, constant sqwaking if I touch him.

Is there anything that can be done for internal injuries? If not, should I cull him to spare him a slow and painful death?

I heard the chickens freaking out today and ran outside to see a hawk flying away from some bushes. My 4 month old asil was lying face down beneath the bushes with his legs stretched out behind him. His mouth was open with blood in his beak. I brought him inside and cleaned him off, it took at least 10 minutes for him to "wake up" and start sqwaking and struggling.

I checked his whole body and can't find any injury anywhere, so I assume his injuries must be internal. He won't eat or drink, and keeps closing his eyes like he's in pain. I'm afraid that if I handle him I will make his injuries worse. He goes into a loud, constant sqwaking if I touch him.

Is there anything that can be done for internal injuries? If not, should I cull him to spare him a slow and painful death?
Have you been able to put him somewhere safe and quiet so he can start feeling more secure?

How long ago did this happen?

How is he doing now?
It is night here, so he has been sleeping. I took him outside just before his bed time to see if he would eat with other birds around, but he panicked and the other chickens tried to attack him, even his mom.

They will beat up on any weaker links. I hope that he is doing good tomorrow!
Yes I am wondering if I should euthanize him or if he can be saved with a shot of Durvet or sub-Q fluids. His internal organs probably have major damage and I don't want him to suffer.

Yes I am wondering if I should euthanize him or if he can be saved with a shot of Durvet or sub-Q fluids. His internal organs probably have major damage and I don't want him to suffer.
He's probably just in shock....if he was struggling I doubt he has any major organ damage. Just let him try to recover in a warm, quiet place. And give electrolytes in his water.

If there are no visible injuries, I doubt there are internal ones...especially if it is a hawk. Internal injuries are normally from disease, blunt force trauma (hawks are probably not going to do this) or having eaten something sharp. Does he have a cracked beak? Check his throat, is there blood in there? I agree, probably shocked, try getting him to eat and drink. If he doesn't use a syringe to put some electrolyte water in his mouth. BUT be careful with this, I recall the syringe has to go in a specifc place so please research before administering.

Back
Top Bottom