Ask a chef

Pics
Pot pie is pretty easy. Just your left over meat and tators, veges and make a gravy out of the juices from the lamb. Or you could do attimus shepards pie that looked good.

Oh yeah.... shepards pie.....
droolin.gif
better yet.

deb

of course I would go by your recommendations.....

Hey I just put a boneless leg of lamb into the oven....

Seared it on top of the stove all 94 sides......:th in a little olive oil   seasoned with seasalt black pepper onion pepper and granulated garlic.... Oh boy it smells good.  Oh and I had some ground rosemary..

I know I should be using fresh herbs...  I really do.  just not something I can do here.

surrounded it with Youcon gold potatoes and carrots and Onion wedges.... which pretty much filled the pot...  Topped it off with a few fresh bayleaves.... (they had them in the store and I found out they keep a very very long time)  

Then poured in two cups of Chicken stock and one cup of Merlot....  the recipe called for white wine but I only had Merlot....  

Just put it in the oven at 3:30 

I was using a recipe from Epicurious. 

NOW I realize I started too late....  it wont be done till seven or eight oclock.  Which will be fine for me and my son...  But I have to find something for Grandma to have for dinner...

I am such a Doob....

deb   "off to go find a recipe for Lamb Pot pie because this one serves 6 to 8 people...  double doob"

That sounds wonderful! I have never had lamb. Would really like to try it.

For me it is the best! I like it very much, especially at spring when the meat is the most flavorful

Oh yeah.... shepards pie.....  :drool   better yet.

deb
everything was pretty straight forward as far as filling went. And i just used a 321 dough recipe, make sure to cook it a little bit first with some weight on it like dry beans or rice so it doesn't get all soggy after you add the fillings.

For me it is the best! I like it very much, especially at spring when the meat is the most flavorful

I'm also a big fan, can't wait until I get a better smoker set up but it always still comes out selfish, better setup will give me more options
1f603.png

A.

frow.gif
Hello and Good Morning! Been drooling over your recipes for a while and now I'm hoping for some advice. I have 4 cockerels dispatched and skinned 6/22. They were 11week old bantam brahmas & cochins - small like cornish game hens with maybe 1/3 the meat. Cavity is large so thinking of stuffing them and wrapping in bacon, then grilling or baking sort of like quail.
Am I right in thinking stuffing will help keep them moist?

frow.gif
Hello and Good Morning! Been drooling over your recipes for a while and now I'm hoping for some advice. I have 4 cockerels dispatched and skinned 6/22. They were 11week old bantam brahmas & cochins - small like cornish game hens with maybe 1/3 the meat. Cavity is large so thinking of stuffing them and wrapping in bacon, then grilling or baking sort of like quail.

Good question.... they are skinned right? Wouldnt the exposed meat dry out ? I would think splitting them in half and laying them on top of stuffing then roasted gently in the oven....? Oh duh you said wrapped in bacon....
th.gif
Pardon me I havent had my coffee yet.... I will be interested in what the others say.

idunno.gif
pop.gif

Last edited:
:frow  Hello and Good Morning!  Been drooling over your recipes for a while and now I'm hoping for some advice. I have 4 cockerels dispatched and skinned 6/22. They were 11week old bantam brahmas & cochins - small like cornish game hens with maybe 1/3 the meat. Cavity is large so thinking of stuffing them and wrapping in bacon, then grilling or baking sort of like quail.
depends on what you stuff them with. I usually use fruits like citrus and apple when roasting. With the smaller bird something like rosemary and butternut squash sounds good, maybe some rissotto, but that's tricky because the rice absorbs moisture.

A.

On a side note I also stuff my turkeys with fruit and veggied and do my stuffing on the side, the bird always comes out better this way.

Back
Top Bottom