ASK ME!!

Ok new question: This morning I opened the chicken coop door to the girls pecking/arguing over who was going to eat the egg they just broke open! How do I fix that behavior besides getting up super early to get the eggs and I don't think they lay their eggs at the same time. I'm so mad that them.

I feel pretty good today and I wanna try to help some people with their questions and concerns... so if you have either please feel free to ask me and if i dont know the the answer i will look it up for you and try to include the link to where i found it.

Im not a vet or anything to say i am certified, Im just a like the rest of you, I have my own birds and I have been through some of the ups and downs and done a lot of research for my own sake!

Just trying to help...

I feel pretty good today and I wanna try to help some people with their questions and concerns... so if you have either please feel free to ask me and if i dont know the the answer i will look it up for you and try to include the link to where i found it.

Im not a vet or anything to say i am certified, Im just a like the rest of you, I have my own birds and I have been through some of the ups and downs and done a lot of research for my own sake!

Just trying to help...
I have three silkies one is broody and has been on her eggs for two days. Tried moving her last night but had to let her go back with others today as she stopped sitting on them. She is now nesting again I have put original eggs back under her but don't know if they will still be good. I am new to this, I have a cockerel but don't know if eggs have been fertilized. Is she ok to stay with other hens and or should she be separate

I'm wondering if I can get an idea for what kind of chicks I got. We bought from TSC and pulled out 5 pullets and 5 red pullets. The red pullets are all yellow and I'm wondering if they may be white leghorns. It was slim pickins by the time we were able to get there. There were no brown chicks in the mix, so I'm assuming no RIR. I'm thinking I've got at least two barred rocks in my pullet set, but they all look pretty similar, so they may all be. I do have one pullet that's looking a lot darker than all the others, though. Sorry for such a newbie question, but I'm so curious!

I'm wondering if I can get an idea for what kind of chicks I got. We bought from TSC and pulled out 5 pullets and 5 red pullets. The red pullets are all yellow and I'm wondering if they may be white leghorns. It was slim pickins by the time we were able to get there. There were no brown chicks in the mix, so I'm assuming no RIR. I'm thinking I've got at least two barred rocks in my pullet set, but they all look pretty similar, so they may all be. I do have one pullet that's looking a lot darker than all the others, though. Sorry for such a newbie question, but I'm so curious!

Did the folks at Tractor Supply not know what breed of chicks they had? I've never bought from them but most places like this only get a few breeds at a time and the store personnel should know what they are. Your question is kind of confusing as well, you say you pulled 5 pullets and 5 red pullets when in actuality you got 10 chicks, maybe, of 2 different breeds. If you don't know what they are at this age it is nearly impossible to figure it out until they actually grow into pullets, hens and cockerels. Why do you think you got 2 barred rocks, they should look totally different.

Did the folks at Tractor Supply not know what breed of chicks they had?  I've never bought from them but most places like this only get a few breeds at a time and the store personnel should know what they are.  Your question is kind of confusing as well, you say you pulled 5 pullets and 5 red pullets when in actuality you got 10 chicks, maybe, of 2 different breeds.  If you don't know what they are at this age it is nearly impossible to figure it out until they actually grow into pullets, hens and cockerels.  Why do you think you got 2 barred rocks, they should look totally different.

No, the boy who gathered them for us was just a kid who worked there (so, clueless about chickens). We didn't have a breed preference and he didn't seem willing to chase after any specific chick. They had two bins of sexed chicks. One had a card that said "pullets" and several breeds and the other had a card that said "red pullets" and several breeds. The way it was set up, it seemed to me that there were a variety of breeds in each bin. The barred rocks, of course, are dark with unique markings as compared to the yellow chicks. We went on Monday, which was our local TSC's opening day of Chick Days and it was well into the evening before we could get out there, so you might imagine how limited we were on selection. But again, their setup was such that we read it to mean the bins were a mash up of several breeds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom